Boston Massachusetts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gary r

Guru
I'm taking my Brompton for 2 weeks in August staying in Norwood ( close to Boston) anyone recommend any good rides or places to visit in the local area?

rivers

How far can I go?
Even though I was born and raised in central MA, I can't recommend any rides as I didn't get into cycling until I moved to the UK. However, if you like beer, I can recommend any of the local brewery tours. Sam Adams Brewery is in Jamaica Plain, Harpoon Brewery is over near Boston Harbor (as well as a few others by the looks of it), and if you are in Central MA for any reason, the Wachusett Brewery and/or Wormtown Brewery. As for other things to do, well what do you enjoy? There's museums galore, you can take in a show, Freedom Trail, walking tours, Faneuil Hall, Plymouth Rock, head to the Cape for a couple of days, if you like odd statues, check out the Turtle Boy statue in Worcester

OP
OP
G

gary r

Guru
Even though I was born and raised in central MA, I can't recommend any rides as I didn't get into cycling until I moved to the UK. However, if you like beer, I can recommend any of the local brewery tours. Sam Adams Brewery is in Jamaica Plain, Harpoon Brewery is over near Boston Harbor (as well as a few others by the looks of it), and if you are in Central MA for any reason, the Wachusett Brewery and/or Wormtown Brewery. As for other things to do, well what do you enjoy? There's museums galore, you can take in a show, Freedom Trail, walking tours, Faneuil Hall, Plymouth Rock, head to the Cape for a couple of days, if you like odd statues, check out the Turtle Boy statue in Worcester
I think a Brewery trip will be on my agenda !

rivers

How far can I go?
I think a Brewery trip will be on my agenda !

I've done the Sam Adams and Harpoon Brewery tour. And seen the Wormtown facilities from their bar. The Sam Adams tour is quite good. It's a suggested donation of $2 (but you could pay nothing or more than, up to you), which goes to a local charity. You get a free tasting glass, and sample 3 of their beers in their tap room at the end of the tour. My preference for beers are in this order: Wachusett (their blueberry beer is one of my all time favourites), Harpoon, Wormtown, and Sam Adams.

reppans

Cape Cod? Fantastic seafood, hamlet seaport towns, paved rail trails, other-worldly sand dunes, beautiful ocean beaches, and my personal favorite, swimming in the crystal clear fresh water kettle ponds that litter the elbow. Restrictions are motor vehicle based, so on bicycle, you can go almost anywhere, do almost anything. A Brompton would also be easy for the Boston-Provincetown high speed ferry, and the Cape's bus system to hop between rail trails. Bring a lightweight tent/pad/sleeping bag for an overnighter - MA has a no-turn-away policy for bicyclists and hikers in its state parks (2 on the Cape).

I do some wild camping there.... this my full rig.

29635113072_8504c4c551_h.jpg

simonali

Guru
Can't give much info on the cycling, but I did the Harpoon Brewery tour recently. Not much to see there, as it's only a small place, but the beer's good! Try and do one of the earlier tours, as they seem to knock off early and try the IPA beer flight.

2148tux.jpg

Willie Erskine

Über Member
Cape Cod? Fantastic seafood, hamlet seaport towns, paved rail trails, other-worldly sand dunes, beautiful ocean beaches, and my personal favorite, swimming in the crystal clear fresh water kettle ponds that litter the elbow. Restrictions are motor vehicle based, so on bicycle, you can go almost anywhere, do almost anything. A Brompton would also be easy for the Boston-Provincetown high speed ferry, and the Cape's bus system to hop between rail trails. Bring a lightweight tent/pad/sleeping bag for an overnighter - MA has a no-turn-away policy for bicyclists and hikers in its state parks (2 on the Cape).

I do some wild camping there.... this my full rig.

View attachment 420767
I'd say same, especially for a Boston to Provincetown fast ferry trip. We walked over to north coast and had a great time wandering along the dunes. Plenty of really quiet roads. Although temperatures (and traffic) can be extreme in August we were there in early June so didn't suffer too much.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well, since I'm the next town over..... What kind of rides are you looking to do? Any particular interests? Where are you staying in Norwood? On Route 1?

There's quite a few things to do, and some really nice rides (on road and off). There are a few local breweries too in the Norwood area.

Last edited:
Top Bottom