Bottom bracket advice request

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
He's just said it has play and noise!

I've removed one with regular length tools no problem, and the frame in question is only 4 years old, whereas that Claud could be 24-34 years old. Of course its luck of the draw, whether it was greased on the way in, dry stored vs found in a damp barn. etc......

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I had one stuck in a Cannondale alu frame once. Stripped half the splines from a Shimano tool trying to shift it. Eventually the LBS got it out.

Big John

Guru
@Gunk that's one hell of a lever. However, the problem with the bottom bracket tool itself is that it is, as it stands, notoriously difficult to hold in place whilst giving it some beans on that lever. There are two methods we use at work to hold the tool firmly on the job - either a G cramp to hold it in place or (and this is my favourite by a long way) get a decent sized washer and a crank bolt and simply bolt on the tool to the bottom bracket splines. It can't move. Then use a spanner on the tool and a length of pipe for extra leverage if you need it. I'm not saying the job is always easy but we've never failed yet to my knowledge in getting a BB out. And the obvious....drive side is left hand thread.

Gunk

Guru
get a decent sized washer and a crank bolt and simply bolt on the tool to the bottom bracket splines.

that’s my preferred method. A bearing puller tool will also work.

the more crap you have in your tool box the easier it is to scratch your head and come up with a solution!

yo vanilla

The story of my life!!!
mine too :sad:

It has a "Bottom Bracket: Sealed Cartridge Bearing, Square Taper" - from your link.
I'd echo the 'if working OK, leave it be' messages (above).
Sheila;) has given you the tool list. It may not come out easily - the BB 20-spline tool has a weak interface with the threaded BB sleeve and after 5 years the steel and aluminium will resist divorce.
A replacement BB will need to be the correct width (68mm or 73mm) and its spindle will need to be the same as you have currently.
The BB shell width is easy to measure. The spindle less so, even once you've taken off the cranks.
A very good cartridge (Square Taper) BB is Shimano's UN-300 (the image below is a 68mm one with a 123mm spindle) - widely available (@ £20+).
View attachment 573245

i'm living that life right now trying to get cranks off my 1998 giant...

Top Bottom