Bottom Bracket Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cal44

Hi all,

The bottom bracket on my bike has a couple of mm of latteral play and is quite noticeable when riding, especially when going up hill. Living in Ayrshire there are a lot of hills!

I have checked the bolts etc and all is quite tight so I think the bracket itself is goosed.

Annoyingly it has only done about 700 miles which I think is quite poor to be honest as previous bikes have gone considerably further. I emailed Forme to ask what they thought and surprise surprise was told the generic "it depends on the type of riding" etc etc... Also the bike is now out of warranty.

So anyway the bike is a Forme Peaktrail 3 and has a 68 x 122 sized bracket. Having looked on the net for a replacement I am rather bemused as to what I should buy. Can anyone recommend a good replacement? I generally only use the bike for fitness once to twice a week for 20 mile runs in hilly areas.

Many thanks in advance!

Calum

U

User6179

These used to be quite good when I last used this type of BB.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/...gclid=COmwsc6UpcACFRHHtAod6hAAYg&gclsrc=aw.ds

OP
OP
Cal44

Cal44

Nice one! I have no idea if the BB already on the bike is a square taper fitting or not.....I'm guessing it probably is but will take one of the cranks off first just to be sure!

I must say the price of the bracket is great as well!

Nice one! I have no idea if the BB already on the bike is a square taper fitting or not.....I'm guessing it probably is but will take one of the cranks off first just to be sure!
It sounds like square taper from your description. If you post a picture of your chainset from this angle we'll be able to tell you now.

bb.jpg

OP
OP
Cal44

Cal44

Hi,

Just a small update on the above. I purchased the the BB, which came very quickly by the way, and then set about taking the bolts off etc. I then quickly realised that I couldn't get the cranks off and that I needed a crank removal tool, Doh! Once I had this and removed the cranks the left side of the BB came off very easily. I now think that this may have been what caused the play but was advised by two LBS shops that I needed a new BB so that is why I bought one and replaced it anyway.

In the interest of fairness neither LBS actually saw the bike, I just happened to stop by and ask their opinions.

So long story short I now have my new BB in place, which runs very well, and I have gained a good bit of knowledge should I ever need to replace one again or help a friend to do the same. It's actually a very straight forward thing to do when you have the right tools!

:laugh:

Top Bottom