Bottom Bracket problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricksavery

Über Member
I'm sure most of you are out cycling on such a glorious day, but when you get back any advice would be gratefully received :wacko:
As some of you may know I am rebuilding my old bike on a Surly Long Haul Trucker frame and fitting the old (quite new actually) bottom bracket. It is a square taper variety and sits in the shell rather than outside it (hope that makes sense). The problem is that on my old frame the edges of the BB shell were painted so few, if any, rust problems.
On the new frame, the edges are bare metal and the cones of the bottom bracket do not cover it, at least not completely.
I thought of either putting a coat of varnish on the edges or getting some sort of rubber seal on the outside (don't know if one exists).
I would appreciate any thoughts on these two options or, indeed, any others.
As always, thanks for your help
Rick

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Paint the shell edges first with a couple of coats of primer, then a couple of coats of matching or contrasting topcoat.

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
Many thanks chaps. Went with the clear nail varnish in the end (mainly cos I is lazy) which appeared (?) to work OK. Felt a bit silly buying it, but what the hell, it's 2009!
Thanks again

Top Bottom