Bottom bracket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tcr4x4

Veteran
Please forgive the complete novice post. But I'm lost.

Recently,I've had a clicking under hard load on my specialized sectuer elite 2010 and with some investigation I've found some play in the bottom bracket. I have about 1-2mm of side to side rocking movement when holding both cranks

On the existing BB it says is bc1.37x24 road. I believe its a shimano 105 but I'm not sure.

It looks just like this from the outside, So is this all I need to buy to replace it?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/105-5700-bottom-bracket-cups-ec023146

Or do I need this too?

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/105-bottom-bracket-ec004991

Or are both of those wrong?

Mile195

Veteran
Top one.

I changed mine the other week.

Probably british thread for your bike.

OP
OP
Tcr4x4

Tcr4x4

Veteran
Thanks, shall order one and the removal tool and give it a go.

The only other issue is one of the Allen bolts that hold the crank on is rounded off. Nothing a drill won't solve, but will need a new bolt to replace it.

Mile195

Veteran
I partially rounded one of mine off as well, but didn't keep turning. Managed to get it back out by pressing the allan key down as I turned it to force it back into what was left of the flat sides. Just went down to my LBS for replacements. They sold me a little bag with two bolts in. £1.95. I thought that was quite steep... probably won't rush back there for anything...

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Thanks, shall order one and the removal tool and give it a go.

The only other issue is one of the Allen bolts that hold the crank on is rounded off. Nothing a drill won't solve, but will need a new bolt to replace it.

You are just looking for M6 x 20mm stainless steel allen cap screw's off eBay, I paid around £1 for 10. I believe the original shimano ones are 19mm, but you will never notice and better than getting fleeced by them. Not sure I would be drilling it out as the crank is threaded. Can you not use some kind of extractor tool.

OP
OP
Tcr4x4

Tcr4x4

Veteran
Thankfully they are both labelled which way to turn, so I won't get caught out.
Hopefully order the bits next week and give it a go.

Tim Hall

Regarding the rounded socket head bolt. You might be able to persuade it out by (horror) lightly hammering in an oversize Torx driver.

OP
OP
Tcr4x4

Tcr4x4

Veteran
Regarding the rounded socket head bolt. You might be able to persuade it out by (horror) lightly hammering in an oversize Torx driver.

I was thinking the same.. Owning a landrover I'm used to going in heavy handed to remove stubborn bolts. I may even weld another bolt to it to allow me to remove it if the other options don't work.

I've ordered all the other bits so I'll have a crack at it next week.

Top Bottom