Bovril - Natural - ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simongt

Guru
For whatever reason, Bovril cubes came up on my EBay page. In the description, it states 'natural ingredients'. Google 'Bovril Ingredients' and you will note ammonia caramel, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate and lactic acid among other goodies.
I showed this list to the GLW; an analytical chemist by trade and her comment was 'I wouldn't touch that c**p - !'
So much for Bovril's 'good for you' reputation - ! :laugh:

GuyBoden

Guru
Marmite
Yeast extract (contains BARLEY, WHEAT, OATS, RYE), salt, vegetable juice concentrate, vitamins (thiamin, riboflavin, niacin, vitamin B12 and folic acid), natural flavouring (contains CELERY).

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
For whatever reason, Bovril cubes came up on my EBay page. In the description, it states 'natural ingredients'. Google 'Bovril Ingredients' and you will note ammonia caramel, disodium inosinate, disodium guanylate and lactic acid among other goodies.
I showed this list to the GLW; an analytical chemist by trade and her comment was 'I wouldn't touch that c**p - !'
So much for Bovril's 'good for you' reputation - ! :laugh:

Just because it has a scary chemical name doesn't mean it's harmful or unnatural....

So it tastes like the original then?

Haha! I love original Bovril as a drink, either from the cubes or the jar, but I tried this own brand of it recently and it was awful.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
I thought that Bovril had been withdrawn from sale years ago, so was pleased to see it in my local The Range (Iceland). I smear some on a poached egg and it brought back a lot of nice memories. I do actually prefer it to Marmite, although prefer Marmite if it's going on buttered toast

Top Bottom