Brake and gear cables for vintage road bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ricardo Velo

Hi guys,

I’m new on the block and this is my first post. I’m refurbing a vintage Carlton TEN 1960s bike and can’t seem to find where I can buy the brakes and gear cables online. would appreciate some advice on where I could go to.

thanks

Cycleops

Legendary Member
If this man doesn't know then nobody does. Paging @Spokesmann
BTW :welcome: to CC.

Gunk

Guru
Bankrupt Bikes are a possible source - can't add a link until tomorrow though.

They’re on eBay, I‘ve sourced loads of bits for older builds off them

IMG_0982.jpeg

raleighnut

Legendary Member
You can pretty much fit anything to a bike frame, nothing has changed that much. One thing though rear brake calipers have altered from 'bolt though' to a sleeve nut that fits into the brake bridge so the stud is too short to get a nut on. there is an easy way to get around this ..........simply use a 'front' brake caliper on the back, there is no difference other than the bolt is longer

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Hi guys,

I’m new on the block and this is my first post. I’m refurbing a vintage Carlton TEN 1960s bike and can’t seem to find where I can buy the brakes and gear cables online. would appreciate some advice on where I could go to.

thanks

if it is purely brake and gear cables then "modern" ones have exactly same nipple ends as vintage one....?

Spokesmann

Keeping the Carlton and Sun names alive...
The Carlton Ten would have had white ribbed cables, these can still be sought on Bay. The cable inners are easy to get hold of and have the usual pear ends. Gear cables again can be found on Ebay, although the Huret levers like a flat cylindrical nipple end, find I have to file down the ends on most replacement cables as they fit the Huret levers, depends on how original to spec you want to keep your '10'. Would be good to see some pictures, the ten/10 model have a few variations over its 7/8 year lifespan. Always a popular model.

You can pretty much fit anything to a bike frame, nothing has changed that much. One thing though rear brake calipers have altered from 'bolt though' to a sleeve nut that fits into the brake bridge so the stud is too short to get a nut on. there is an easy way to get around this ..........simply use a 'front' brake caliper on the back, there is no difference other than the bolt is longer

For Raleigh twenty's and all their incarnations, the front and rear calipers have differing reach. I suspect there are other examples too - just thought it worth mentioning :okay:

raleighnut

Legendary Member
For Raleigh twenty's and all their incarnations, the front and rear calipers have differing reach. I suspect there are other examples too - just thought it worth mentioning :okay:

Yep, my Raleigh 'City' had 26 inch wheels until I had some 700c rims laced to the original 3spd SA rear hub and a Shimano dynamo front (700c is between a 26" and a 27" size) which also allowed me to replace the twisted bits of steel that Raleigh laughingly called brake calipers with some nice Aluminium Weinman ones that I had in my shed. Win-win as now it has a much bigger range of tyres and far better brakes.

Top Bottom