Brake blocks for the wet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ricksavery

Über Member
I've got Tektro 720 cantilevers and they seem to have V-brake cartridge blocks! in that they have threaded allen nut on the end and have the two adjsutable washers that V-brakes usually have? Is that right? They are certainly not the usual cantilever blocks which I always find a bugger to adjust. these are great but the inserts (?) in them are rubbish in the wet. I had to pump the brakes the other day in very wet conditions to even have a chance of stopping on hills. What i would like to know is what inserts will fit in these brakes that are good in the wet. I have seen some salmon-coloured (right colour for wet?) ones from Kool Stop at Wiggle but don't know whether they will fit. Any ideas or other choices ? Ta
Rick

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I have the same brakes on my tourer and also found the standard blocks lacking. They are V brake blocks as you surmised. The best wet weather blocks by a country mile are Kool Stop salmons. I got mine from here.

The link is for the ultra thin type which I need. You may get away with the standard type elsewhere on the site.

OP
OP
ricksavery

ricksavery

Über Member
Ordered the black salmon inserts but too long for the pad holders that came with the brakes. Should have checked first. Had to buy Avid Rim Wrangler pad holders so ended up quite pricey, but then what price stopping in the wet? What's with all this new terminology - pads, cartridges, pad holders? What's wrong with plain old brake blocks ... and leather ones at that! :-)

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Pad holders do mean that once you position the brake, it's done.

With the all in one post/pad cantis, the whole thing had to be redone, which was a pain.

Now if only they'd stop using those silly split pins in the pad holders...

Davidc

Guru
My Dawes Horizon is fitted with Tektro Oryx brakes.

The original pads weren't very good - in V brake type holders as above. Fitted the kool stop salmon pads to the front ones and had a big improvement and an end to squealing. The only trouble is that they only lasted 900 miles.

I've now bought the Tectonic holders and pads to see how they do. They certainly fit and make good brakes, now need to see how they last, but I won't know until next year.

I've kept the original front components for use on the rear. I'm not too concerned about performance there as I only really use the back brakes for control on hills, not for stopping.

Davidc

Guru
Dual compound might be a good trade off, DavidC - I do like Salmons though, despite their short life they stop very well.

The salmons are superb, I've not found any that stop as well in dry or wet conditions, but I thought their life on these brakes was too short though. If the Tectonics aren't significantly better I'll be back to them.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Koolstop Salmon on the front, Blacks on the rear every time for me> I find they last a reasonably long time.

PpPete

Legendary Member
I got some KoolStop Dual compound.... front section is harder black compound to clear away the crap on the rim, rear section is Salmon for wet grip. I think they are a special for cyclo-x. ..... which I certainly don't do. I've had them on my pimped-up Galaxy (old school wide cantis on front, Suntour SE (Petersen design) cantis on the back) for the last 2500 miles and they are a) brilliant stopping power and b) they still have loads of life in them. One of my better purchases....

Davidc

Guru
The Tectonics seem a bit better than the salmons in the dry, but I haven't yet had to try them in the wet. I agree with Fab Foodie about the back. When the back need doing the Kool Stop black pads are good. They last well and do anything a back brake is good for which is mainly gently controlling descents.

We'll soon be into autumn and winter weather with the usual crud getting on the bike brakes from the roads so I'll be watching the forums for suggestions for a rim cleaner that's better than WD40. Used to use Colclean, but as it was 100% ozone depleting freon it was banned. Worked a treat.

Top Bottom