brake blocks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I have just changed the brakes refills on my front wheel but unfortunatly, the little screw that secures the block onto the pad has sheared and is therefore not securing the block. The rubber block itself is tapered which means it can only go one way. When you apply the brakes , it cannot move forward or off due to e taper. My question is: is it safe to use it without that little screw doing its job?

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

well, 33 of you have read my post and no one had an answer yet! I am dissapointed.

ianjmcd

Über Member
im not 100% sure so i cant say yes it will be fine try your LBS for one of the screws they probably wont even charge you

OP
OP
gavroche

gavroche

Right, I can answer my own question now. I went for a 20 miles ride this morning and kept a watchful eyes on my front brake pad every time I used it.It never moved because the taper runs the same way as the wheel is turning so it cannot come off. My conclusion is:
- when yoh undo the screw, don't take it right off so you can screw it back in without crisscrossing the thread.
- the screw is only there as a double safety but does not affect the good working of the brake pad.

Top Bottom