Brake Cables

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi All,

I'd like to get some new brake cables for one of my racing bikes; what I'd like to know is, can anyone recommend a high quality cable ? Or are brake cables 'much of a muchness' when it comes to quality ?

Ta for any suggestions

Much of a muchness IME. I buy the cheapest my LBS has and never had one snap yet. The outer cable is a different matter entirely of course.

You can get sealed ones, low friction ones, anti-compression ones etc

Have a look HERE and HERE :thumbsup:

Personally I've never bothered with the expense, I put a dab of grease on any cable openings to waterproof them and haven't had any problems so far. I started to do this years ago after the rear most section of gear cable seized into the outer cable after getting wet, an easy fix but annoying and easily avoided with the addition of a dab of grease.

Of course, if your racing or similar then you may want to invest, I'm not and never will be :biggrin:

Well, get her a set too, it's the thought that counts :thumbsup:

That's not true. I bought her a present the other day, (been teasing her about the surprise ever since), and it came in the post today.

Now I thought she'd be very happy with the new tool I got to replace the one she broke off her Dyson. It showed that I listen and it showed a thought process had occurred prior to purchase.

Was she happy? No she wasn't. Bloody women :whistle:

That's not true. I bought her a present the other day, (been teasing her about the surprise ever since), and it came in the post today.

Now I thought she'd be very happy with the new tool I got to replace the one she broke off her Dyson. It showed that I listen and it showed a thought process had occurred prior to purchase.

Was she happy? No she wasn't. Bloody women :whistle:
i bought the misses a new bag and a new belt for her birthday ... the hoover works really well now :whistle:

Sleeper

Clarks premium. Great cables and great value, Teflon lubed too I believe. My kit was £8.99 as I recall :-)

Cables are indeed much of muchness but when I last replaced one I was going to buy what the lbs had on display but the owner nipped down to the store room and got me a better cable for the same price, it just felt a hell of a lot smoother, no idea the brand though :rolleyes:

bicyclos

Part time Anorak
I buy or have done for the past 5yrs now bought my outer and inner cables in bulk from a guy on e-bay. Because they are cheap I always replace inner cables every 2nd year I give my bikes the annual big service and replace the outer cables every 4yrs.

Top Bottom