brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucers

Guru
Hi, the front brake pads on my 90's Peugeot mountain bike squeek a lot when engaged. They are not touching the tyres, nor is there any debris in amongst them. Any ideas on why and how to solve appreciated.

Cheers, Bruce

musa

Über Member
Give the rim a clean with a baby wipe. My squeaked after I gave the bike a clean

Alternatively check the condition of the pads

It's usually grease from the road on brake pads and rim. I use a bit of warm water, detergent and them green washing pads (rough side).

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Have a look here about halfway down the page. It shows how to set the toe in. By this, it means that the front edge of the brake pad hits the rim before the trailing edge, allowing the brake callipers natural tendency to flex under braking to bring the trailing edge into contact with the rim, reducing squeal. There is a much better explanation than I can give here

Broadside

Guru
I'm guessing these are cantilever brakes? Try cleaning and greasing and then suitably tightening the brake pivots where they attach to the frame. If these are loose they will vibrate when braking and cause a squeal.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
Also, the arms might be just rubbish and are flexing horribly causing judder/squeaking

Top Bottom