brake pads

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nicholas

Über Member
Hi could do with advice on buying brake pads for my road bike as these will be the first pair I have bought could do with some help are all pads the same size and just made from different substances or is there more to it :banghead:

MikeW-71

Veteran
Size doesn't vary a lot, but pad compound does, which is what matters.

I'm using Clarks CPS240 pads and they are good. They work well in the wet too, which is nice.

I prefer Swisstop FlashPro GHP II's (green high performance), but I would point out, given no-one else has yet, what brake pads you buy depends on what material your rims are made out of. For my tourer I have to get a very specific brake pad suitable for ceramic coated rims. For my road bike which has aluminium rims, I can just get what I want (something that stops well in the wet and lasts well in addition). (if you have carbon rims, then you need a carbon rim specific pad for those as well.) I'm not that bothered about cost of the pads (£4 per pad is not an issue for me) my life could literally depend on my ability to stop and I prefer something I can fit and forget about for 3-4,000 miles of wet cycling (or much longer on my tourer). I usually pick up my pads for discount-bikes.de when I am placing a larger order - they tend to be around £10 cheaper per pack of 4 than anywhere in the UK.

Tried Swisstopand Koolstop and whilst they are good I foud they wore fast (particularly Swisstop) after trying a few brand the last few times I've opted for Clarks as they seem good VfM and work (ie stop in the wet!).

Top Bottom