Brake question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pensans

Daft question...I recently bought a second hand bike and having been trying to learn and adjust my own brakes etc. Can someone tell me is there something missing from the brake pads here? The back brakes have a split pin holding them together but there’s nothing at the front? The left pin moves when I apply the brake but the right one does not...

Attachments

• 7724554F-DC34-4252-AC91-2E18AE66A30C.jpeg
    7724554F-DC34-4252-AC91-2E18AE66A30C.jpeg
    104.2 KB · Views: 21

Cycleops

Legendary Member
On basic cable disc brakes only one piston moves, the outer one as you have observed, the inner is static. You should have a Allen Key adjustment on the inner side accessed through the spokes, this needs to be adjusted so that the gap between each pad and the rotor are the same.
Slaken off the caliper mounting bolts and then holding the brake lever on retighten them, this should give the desired result.
Looks like someone has already tried to adjust the cable travel to get the lever to bite earlier which is fine.

BTW hello and :welcome: to the forum.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
On basic cable disc brakes only one piston moves, the outer one as you have observed, the inner is static. You should have a Allen Key adjustment on the inner side accessed through the spokes, this needs to be adjusted so that the gap between each pad and the rotor are the same.
Slaken off the caliper mounting bolts and then holding the brake lever on retighten them, this should give the desired result.
Looks like someone has already tried to adjust the cable travel to get the lever to bike earlier which is fine.

BTW hello and :welcome: to the forum.
what he said :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
When you're finished spin the wheel and if the inner pad is dragging loosen off the inside rotor until it runs free.
i would also add make sure there freenough tht when and if you stand to get up a hill the rotor can still rotate as i ahve had mine too close before so that on the flat ok but when haccking up a hill they rubbed .

MTPWild

Hello,

I recently has my bike services and the back brake pads where done. (Disk brakes) He said he had bled them through so I though it would be OK. He also changed the pads because they where worn and he put a new pair in. Since I took the bike back from him it's been taking ages for me to actually brake. It just keeps going for a while and feel if I press any harder the leaver might snap. I have tried the method or braking them in but that's not worked. I have also sanded the pads slightly and used an appropriate cleaner on the disk as there was squeeking. The squeeking stopped but they still don't actually brake like they should.
Can someone please help :smile:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
They may just need wearing in. What brakes are they and are they cable or hydraulic? A pic might help.

:welcome: to the forum.

I think you might be off starting a new thread rather than tagging onto this one, you’ll get more responses.

Last edited:

MTPWild

They may just need wearing in. What brakes are they and are they cable or hydraulic? A pic might help.

:welcome: to the forum.

I think you might be off starting a new thread rather than tagging onto this one, you’ll get more responses.
I'll try get a pic soon. They are shimano Tourney disk mechanical brakes.

Thank you for welcoming me :smile:

DRM

Guru
I'll try get a pic soon. They are shimano Tourney disk mechanical brakes.

Thank you for welcoming me :smile:
You will need to bed them in, get to a quiet area, get the bike up to speed then slow down quickly, but don’t stop about 12 times, this will bed them in, are the pads adjusted correctly in relation to the disc rotors?
what did you clean them with?

Top Bottom