Brakes do I need to do anything, if so what?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
636426 636427 The brakes seem to be biased to one side, the front wheel is not quite centre, but not binding, and they work. Got bike for daughter (40) and she took it to free cycle safety thing in Shrewsbury where they told her it was unsafe.

To be frank they were correct, the Alan headed bolt holding the brake arm on at back was loose, took longer to get alan key than to tighten it up, why they just didn't tighten it don't know.

I am sure I could fiddle with spacers to make it look better, seems a lot of work to adjust spokes, and not convinced it needs doing. Not done brake blocks in years, all my bikes have disc brakes.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I would recommend a full service by you if you have the skills or get LBS to do one. A properly functioning cycle will give your daughter much more enjoyment.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
……and replace the cable while you’re at it. Properly adjusted V brakes are very effective. Give the same treatment to the rear too.

If you don’t have a cable cutter just loop the excess.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I am sure I could fiddle with spacers to make it look better, seems a lot of work to adjust spokes, and not convinced it needs doing. Not done brake blocks in years, all my bikes have disc brakes.
Why are you coming here to share your lack of conviction? And semi-excusing yourself because "all my bikes have disc(s)".
See also: "I can't fit a tube: all my tyres are tubeless" and "I can't adjust these gears: all my bikes are Di2/eTap".
If you care about your daughter's enjoyment (riding) and safety (stopping), sort it or get your LBS to.
These V brakes will work better if they're a bit more centred: follow the advice given above (but not the 'new cables' suggestion imo): washers, adjustment screws (one in, one out) and new blocks (subject to inspection). But note emphasis on "a bit more": if the brakes don't rub the rims when rolling along, yet on lever operation provide satisfactory stopping power with achievable hand strength and less than full lever travel, that's 'good enough'.

Reactions: C R

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
As usual, Calvin at Park Tool explains this really well. Skip the mounting / installation part and go straight to adjustment, and the issues with your daughter's brakes will become clear. Fitting pads and adjusting is at the 2.50 time stamp. Centering is at the 11.30 timestamp. You'll just need allen keys, new brake blocks, and a small Phillips head screw driver to get them working well. I'd describe a V brake overhaul as one of the easier bike maintenance jobs, and I'm not very technically adept. So don't be shy, give it a go.

View: https://youtu.be/XMa9UqY9obk

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'd want firstly to check why the front wheel isn't central between the fork blades. Easy way to check (assuming it's not wobbling side-to-side as you spin it): first just loosen the wheel and, with the bike on the ground, retighten. If it's still crooked, take the wheel out and replace it the other way round. If it is off-centre the same side, the fork is damaged; if it sits the other way, the wheel is out of true.

OP
OP
ericmark

ericmark

Recommend you take Ian's advice ^^^ first before any Park Tooling around. The OP image appears to shows the front wheel well over.
I had intended to trim the wheel, however seems my spoke spanners are at old house. I have built wheels before, but a long time ago, and it is clearly a long process to get a wheel spot on. So if I can get away without adjusting wheel, all the better, plus spokes are clearly old and if doing the wheel would be better to start with new spokes.

Daughter not sure if she want to cycle, if it was for my son then different, I know he will cycle and worth spending money, daughter it could end up going on free cycle if she does not find it suits.

So it is really so I can get my bike back, and test out if it suits.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Might not be spoke truing issue. Could be something as simple as poorly adjusted cones.
Looks quite a way out so check the fork itself.

iluvmybike

Über Member
It might be worthwhile femoving the brake arms from the mounting pegs and cleaning and greasing these - sometimes they get stiff and reluctant to move causing this issue. Just be careful when refitting to engage the little prong on the brake arm into the correct hole on the mounting peg - usually there are 3 holes - centre one is one to use. Slack off the centre adjuster screws on the arms before doing this ti gie you room to reset them

Top Bottom