Brakes HELP

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CycleVan

Hi everyone

OK help needed urgently. I recently purchased some drop handlebars for my bike. I bought a pair of brake levers which I assumed would fit my brakes (my previous brakes were just bog standard straight handlebar brakes) but they don't! The pictures attached are of the end of my brake wire. Do racing style brake levers exist for that style wire or will I need new wires completely? If they do can someone lead me in the right direction to buy some? What are they even called?

Thanks

Van

Attachments

• photo 1 (3).JPG
    photo 1 (3).JPG
    520.1 KB · Views: 37
  • photo 2 (3).JPG
    photo 2 (3).JPG
    463.1 KB · Views: 43
If I get you correctly - the metal knob on the brake cable won't fit into the female section on the lever.

There are two basic types of end - take a look at this - you just cut off wich one you don't want.

OP
OP
CycleVan

CycleVan

If I get you correctly - the metal knob on the brake cable won't fit into the female section on the lever.

There are two basic types of end - take a look at this - you just cut off wich one you don't want.

So i need to cut off the metal tip? How do I then connect the wire to the brakes I have?

g00se

Veteran
Before you go any further, what sort of brakes do you have?

If you have callipers, you should be OK - but if you have v brakes, then road bike levers won't pull enough cable to work the brakes properly (unless you get some of the levers specific for that situation). A photo or link to the levers and the brakes themselves would be useful.

With regards to accountantpete's end-cutting suggestion - that was only for those cables he linked to as they come with both types of tabs at each end so they will fit any kind of brake. You cut off the end you don't need and use it like a regular one-ended cable.

Otherwise, you just buy the cable type you need for the levers you have.

OP
OP
CycleVan

CycleVan

Before you go any further, what sort of brakes do you have?

If you have callipers, you should be OK - but if you have v brakes, then road bike levers won't pull enough cable to work the brakes properly (unless you get some of the levers specific for that situation). A photo or link to the levers and the brakes themselves would be useful.

With regards to accountantpete's end-cutting suggestion - that was only for those cables he linked to as they come with both types of tabs at each end so they will fit any kind of brake. You cut off the end you don't need and use it like a regular one-ended cable.

Otherwise, you just buy the cable type you need for the levers you have.

Hi G00se. I have callipers. It's just I have barrel end wires but I need to buy the mushroom ones and then they'll feed though.

I've emailed the guys I got the levers from to make doubley sure but I'm almost certain it's that.

Thanks though

OP
OP
CycleVan

CycleVan

You'll need new cables like the ones accountantpete posted cut off the straight bar ferrule (or whatever its called) and use the ferrule on the other end which is drop bar compatible. It good practice to change your brake cables from time to time anyway :-)

Thanks
thumbsup.png

However, in theory rather than buy the ones with two ends (which chances are I'll mess up) I can buy one with just the mushroom ferrule right? And then I assume the end that goes into the calliper will feed through the lever first and then into the calliper yes?

Thanks
thumbsup.png

However, in theory rather than buy the ones with two ends (which chances are I'll mess up) I can buy one with just the mushroom ferrule right? And then I assume the end that goes into the calliper will feed through the lever first and then into the calliper yes?
Some places sell the that way (I think my last cople of sets were), a lot of places just sell the ones with two ends, I suppose its easier on stock you need to cut off excess anyway so its all the same. You'll insert the cable into your lever and then feed through the end without the ferrule to your callipers, clamp, trim excess and fit an end cap (to stop it fraying).

OP
OP
CycleVan

CycleVan

Some places sell the that way (I think my last cople of sets were), a lot of places just sell the ones with two ends, I suppose its easier on stock you need to cut off excess anyway so its all the same. You'll insert the cable into your lever and then feed through the end without the ferrule to your callipers, clamp, trim excess and fit an end cap (to stop it fraying).

You've done this before
thumbsup.png

Got some without the dual ends (since I know the barrel ones don't fit) and they came with some outer casing too. Hopefully (finally) I'll have my bike looking like I want (and able to stop)

Thanks for all your help

g00se

Veteran
Thanks
thumbsup.png

Spot on. Also make sure you get a couple of crimp-ons for the cables. So when the cable is on place, you can cut it to length and crimp the end on to stop it fraying.

Terminology: This is a ferrule - it goes on the end of a cable outer to get a firm anchor.

This is a crimp.

And this is a pear nipple and this is barrel nipple (just found that out myself)...

OP
OP
CycleVan

CycleVan

Spot on. Also make sure you get a couple of crimp-ons for the cables. So when the cable is on place, you can cut it to length and crimp the end on to stop it fraying.

Terminology: This is a ferrule - it goes on the end of a cable outer to get a firm anchor.

This is a crimp.

And this is a pear nipple and this is barrel nipple (just found that out myself)...

Mine comes with ferrule and crimp so that's sorted (I hope). Ah well there are lots of cycling shops near me. If it comes to it it's tail between legs asking for help. Weekend of no riding now though. And the sun's just come out :sad:

Top Bottom