brakes is it just me

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuee147

why is it that no matter how many times i try to set up brakes no matter weather they are calliper brakes or v brakes. i set them up pulling the cables threw as best i can then i still need to use the little cable adjuster on the brake leaver and the brake to get the brakes to work...
am i missing a trick here i see bikes with working brakes that haven't had them bits wound out to tension the cable, so how do you get the tension in the first place, there has to be a trick to it or is it just me ????

am i the only one that cant get the tension lol ???

stuee

Press the brake callipers together into the rim... ... pull the cable to take any slack out of its length...drop the adjustment lever in the down position then tighten the allen key bolt !

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might find one of these helpful.
image.jpg

It's a third hand to hold the calipers closed whilst you secure the cable, a fiver from SJS Cycles.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
what you could do if you struggle is make the adjuster part of your initial process. Set the barrel adjuster to its tightest setting or near to it, then set the brakes to just touch the rim and wind the adjuster back to gap your brakes properly to the rim.
Or gap the brakes by hand and fit a spacer (lolly stick ono) between the blocks and rim so you can tie or rubber band the brake arms in place and you can focus more fully on getting the cable just so.

Last edited:
OP
OP
stuee147

stuee147

Press the brake callipers together into the rim... ... pull the cable to take any slack out of its length...drop the adjustment lever in the down position then tighten the allen key bolt !

yea i do that because i have little use of my left hand i use a small F clamp that i put onto the brakes and squeeze them together, then i pull the cable threw as best i can i normally use a pair of fine nose pliers grab the cable near the locking nut then i sort of twist the pliers so the cable wraps round them and pulling the cable threw supposedly tight i then lock the cable off with the securing nut. but then as soon as i take the clamp off the brakes pop apart as if i hadn't even tried

It's your donkey flange...

what is a donkey flange ??? the only donkey i know of is me trying to do brakes lol

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Yep, that's exactly how I retension the cables on my touring bike's canti brakes (minus the adjustment lever step). Although I don't always get it right first try, sometimes tightening the cable, then loosening it, redoing the side tension screws a few times. I'm very picky about the brake pad positions, though, as I prefer them to be about 1mm from the rims.

Top Bottom