Brakes sticking on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
I came off the bike the other day and I think it took a whack to the right side of the front wheel. The front brake on the right side is now sticking on - it'll pull on with the lever but doesn't spring back.

I've looked at the instructions to adjust brake arm tension on Bicycle Tutor and tried moving the spring into a different hole. That solves the problem on the right brake but then the left one sticks on - I haven't touched anything on the left side.

Should I try to adjust the left side as well or will I be wasting my time - and possibly making things worse?

I guess that the spring has been bent and really needs to be bent back into the right shape, but I don't know what the right shape is - and I'm probably not strong enough to bend it anyway ;)

Any suggestions before I arrange to take it to the LBS?

Thanks

Anne

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
There is ususally a tension screw on the side of each arm which will centre the brakes - tighten one and loosen the other - assume we are talking v brakes here ?

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Hi Anne,

Other things to think about;

1) Does the cable run freely?
2) Is the brake block sticking on the rim? (If you've had a knock, it may have gone out of alignment).
3) Is the spring seated properly in the lever arm/fork?

Do be careful with the springs - I think I remember my LBS telling me that at least some of the shimano ones aren't available as a spare, meaning that if they're broken, it's a new brake or nowt!

OP
OP
annedonnelly

annedonnelly

Girl from the North Country
Thanks so much Fossyant - adjusting the screws did the trick.

And thanks John for your suggestions.

The sun is shining and my bike is fixed. Guess what I'll be doing this afternoon!:laugh:

Jonathan M

Anne, also check that the brake block has not had a lip worn into it. This lip catches under the rim and means that the spring sometimes will not be strong enough to pull the brake arm back into place.

If this is the case either fit new blocks, or you can sometimes use a sharp blade to trim the lip off, only worth doing really if the block has been mis aligned in the first place.

Top Bottom