Bratislava - Zadar

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bodhbh

Guru
Booked a couple of Ryanair cheapie flights to ride between in May, Stansted-Bratislava and back from Zadar a couple of weeks later. Not a whole lot of thought behind it, just wanted to get off *somewhere* early b4 an incoming hernia op puts me off the bike for the rest of the summer.

I've started reading up on the area, but just wondered if anyone who's been to that part of the world has any comments, suggestions on the route etc? I hope to be camping for the most part.

The main dilemia I have is whether to follow the Danube down thru Budapest and into NE Croatia which swings me out East a fair old bit, or just bimble down South which puts me in the path of Lake Balaton, Zagreb etc., and makes for a more easygoing trip (few days with a martini on the beach at the end).

Percy

I've ridden the Danube from Budapest to Bratislava and can recommend it, and Hungary in general, highly. It is a bit of a loop round for you though and the Zagreb/lake route looks interesting.

I'd be tempted by going the other way, touching Vienna (which is also a nice ride) and then down towards the coast through Austria/Slovenia, maybe even hit Italy a bit and follow the sea down...depends what you're after I guess.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
Percy said:
I'd be tempted by going the other way, touching Vienna (which is also a nice ride) and then down towards the coast through Austria/Slovenia, maybe even hit Italy a bit and follow the sea down...depends what you're after I guess.
I did consider that, although a couple of things really: I have some family in Vienna so have been fairly recently, plus - hilldodging tbh - I wanted keep hills to the minimum for the first week (understand it's fairly mountainous along the coast so will have plenty sooner or later).

Other thing I figured Hungary would be cheaper, although perhaps that's not the bee-all and end-all.

NickC

Into Austria from Bratislava, then south past Neusiedlersee, into Hungary and south through Szombathely, into and out of a small patch of Slovenia, then past Varazdin towards Zagreb is a direct, fastish and simple way south. Zagreb is no real problem to get through or round, give or take traffic like in any city, and the countryside south of Varazdin, though a bit hilly, is beautiful to ride through (or maybe I'm biased, I have a weekend house/vineyard in the area); much prettier than further northeast in the country.

But whichever route you take, good luck to you - enjoy the ride.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I only did a little bit of the Danube path so I'm not able to say what the rest is like but in general I find riverside routes can get a bit tedious.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
NickC said:
Into Austria from Bratislava, then south past Neusiedlersee, into Hungary and south through Szombathely, into and out of a small patch of Slovenia, then past Varazdin towards Zagreb is a direct, fastish and simple way south. Zagreb is no real problem to get through or round, give or take traffic like in any city, and the countryside south of Varazdin, though a bit hilly, is beautiful to ride through (or maybe I'm biased, I have a weekend house/vineyard in the area); much prettier than further northeast in the country.

Cheers. I've not got my literature handy, but I'll have a look at this. After consideration leaning towards this sort of trip atm than following the Danube around.

NickC said:

I'd agree with NickC, if you follow the Danube down from Budapest and then turn west it is very flat and rather dull and his route goes through some very pretty countryside (nice farmhouse hotel just outside Szombathely the name of which I have forgotten but is on booking.com).

The question then is which way to go after Zagreb. The options are straight out to the coast Rijeka and then head down the coast road or come inland, Karlovac and then south. I don't know the coast road well but it can get busy in high season. The other route is quiet, all the traffic goes down the motorway these days, but at some point you will have to do some serious climbing to get over the mountains and down to the sea. I've only every driven that way and this is of course very different to riding the route.

OP
OP
Bodhbh

Bodhbh

Guru
BalkanExpress said:
The question then is which way to go after Zagreb. The options are straight out to the coast Rijeka and then head down the coast road or come inland, Karlovac and then south. I don't know the coast road well but it can get busy in high season. The other route is quiet, all the traffic goes down the motorway these days, but at some point you will have to do some serious climbing to get over the mountains and down to the sea. I've only every driven that way and this is of course very different to riding the route.
Thanks, I'll worry about this on the hoof, although my inclination is to take the inland route, over the national park just N of Zadar (don't have the name handy) and hopefully have a 2-3 days spare at the end for a loop involving the islands.

As an aside I do have a spare Brandt guide to Hungary (it's a long story) if anyone can make use of it send me a PM.

Bodhbh said:
Thanks, I'll worry about this on the hoof, although my inclination is to take the inland route, over the national park just N of Zadar (don't have the name handy) and hopefully have a 2-3 days spare at the end for a loop involving the islands.

As an aside I do have a spare Brandt guide to Hungary (it's a long story) if anyone can make use of it send me a PM.

Plitvice, is I think the National park in question (the one with the famous waterfalls). There is also Velebit on your route, this is the ridge of mountains separating the coast from the inland route which at some point you'll have to cross:ohmy: Some beautiful and fairly rugged countryside, have fun!

Top Bottom