Brazed on brake bolts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

funk2monk

I'm thinking of replacing the Weinmann brakes on my Geoffrey Butler but when searching for replacements there doesn't seem to be many that would be suitable as they all seem to have the attachments for a drilled frame? I quite like the brazed on bolts as its very neat on the frame so would not want to remove these.
Has anyone had a similar experience?
Cheers,

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Are you talking about direct-mount calipers or V-brakes/cantilevers?

OP
OP
funk2monk

funk2monk

Are you talking about direct-mount calipers or V-brakes/cantilevers?
The frame has actually got the threaded bolt brazed on, there is no hole on the other side of the frame or forks. The brake slides onto this and then a nut holds the brakes in place.
They look exactly the same as normal brakes would when on except there is no fixings on the other side of the brake as nothing goes through the frame.

midlife

Guru
1970’s time trial trend lol. You are stuck with the Weinmann 500’s unless by chance something else fits the bolts by trial and error.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Can't you just pull apart a better Weinmann caliper and fit it? 500 and Carrera are interchangeable; I had 500 spindles in my Carreras because the alloy Carrera bolts rounded off when the centreing tool was used. Weinmann made some pretty nasty stuff.

Top Bottom