England : Somerset Brean Down Way opening events (NCR 33 Uphill-Brean section)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The Brean Down Way will be officially opened on the 7th July at 12 noon at the Brean Cross Sluice (River Axe) at 12 noon, by Her Majesty's Lord Lieutenant of Somerset, Mrs Annie Maw.

Also, on the 20th August the council is organising a mass Pirate Cycle Ride to Brean beach, aimed at families, to celebrate and further promote the route.

For both events, they need for marshals to help direct people, manage road junctions and the gates through the reserve. If you would like to volunteer that would be really helpful - please call Ben on 01934426962

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I know this is an old thread but I sometimes have reason to visit Uphill and could take the Brompton next time. do you know if its rideable on a folding bike?

ExpatTyke

Yorkshireman in Deepest Somerset
I know this is an old thread but I sometimes have reason to visit Uphill and could take the Brompton next time. do you know if its rideable on a folding bike?

The stretch from Weston to Brean would be no problem at all - it's all a good surface, and I normally ride it several times a week on road bikes with 23 or 25mm tyres. Riding the beach section is another matter - I've done it a couple of times on a mountain bike with big tyres and it's heavy going. The track along the Down should be ok; it's a bit uneven in places but I've ridden it on the road bike with no problem.

If you're planning to ride it during lockdown be aware that it's very busy with joggers, family groups of cyclists and dog walkers during the day, especially on the section from Uphill to Brean. The best time is first thing in the morning when you'll have the trail to yourself.

EDIT - forgot top mention you can skip the beach section by riding up Warren Road to Brean Down.

Last edited:

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Thanks for the update. I wont be doing it until the lockdown is lifted and its quiet again .Something to look forward to and maybe a pint in he Dolphin afterwards :-)

Top Bottom