Bristol to Aberdeenshire -

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy Hamilton

Firstly, hello to cycle chat forum people!

I am not a world touring cyclist nor I am super fit, the longest I have ever cycled in a day was 70 to 80 miles or 150 over two days.

I have set myself up for a long cycle tour from here in Bristol to around Aberdeen. I wondered if any of you have taken part or all of this trip and might be able to impart some wise knowledge to me. I have an Edinburgh touring cycle and will be servicing it the day before I leave.

I intend to stay with friends on the way so I don't really need any advice on places to stay (except for perhaps yorkshire). I am just really looking for good solid advice on what roads to avoid and what NCN routes there are that don't mean I will cycle for miles off course.

My itinerary is

Day one - Bristol - Oxford
Oxford - Northampton
Northampton - Newark
Newark - york
York - Darlington
Darlington - Alnwick
Alnwick - Hadington
Hadington - Edingburgh
Edinburgh - Dundee
Dundee - Aberdeen

If you have the routes between any of these towns it would be great to hear from you. Equally if you think this is an insane route for someone at my level of cycling experience it would be good to hear your views too.

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
Well :biggrin: Andy Hamilton and :welcome:to CC !

That's an interesting trek you are planning. When is the Off ?

I haven't done anything like it myself but have read a bit about some longer rides. Ron Strutt's site is interesting and has some useful info - the Hints, Tips and Questions link could be relevent.

My experience is limited to around my own neck of the woods. Depending on where you are starting in Edinburgh there are better ways of getting to the Forth Road Bridge than the NCN route, which is a disgrace ! Let me know if you want any more info. There are quite a few CCers in Edinburgh and its environs, some of whom commute over the FRB. I'm sure we can come up with something for you.

HTH :smile:

ps might be worthwhile servicing the bike a couple of days earlier, in case that (vital :biggrin:) bit that is needed ......

When? If I'm in Bristol I'll service it for you FOC + parts.

Don't get it serviced the day before, a couple of weeks at the most to give it time to shake out any problems.

Hi :biggrin:

I really only know the section from Haddington to Dundee

From Haddington to Edinburgh the most direct route is via the A199 to Musselburgh. Although its an A road its not bad trafficwise and is lined with uinterupted wide cycle lanes and its fairlly flat. As scoosh says the NCN can be pretty poor after that with cobbles, narrow sections and potholed sections, etc I tend to avoid it. Basicvally I'd then take the coast and Burnshot Road to Carlowrie Farm to and the A8000 now downgraded and then to the Forth Road Bridge.

For some reason in Fife NCN 1 splits in two, directly north and round the coast. I'd recommend going directly north via Dunfermline, its a bit hillier but mostly on better roads and it more direct anyway. I dislike the section along the coast some bits are pretty poor IME. The spot in particular tha jumps out to me is just north of Burntisland where you have the choice of a very steep and muddy off road route through the woods to Binnend or the dodgy B923 to Kinghorn and a steep climb.

Top Bottom