British Eagle Touristique

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alwaysinthemire

Regular
Hello,my name is Mike and I’m a new member. I was inspired after I read the thread regarding the ‘field gate’ touristique advertised on eBay. I bought it! I’ve now had it completely apart,cleaned and re greased the lot. Just waiting for new brake cables and hoping to have it on the road this weekend. Always wanted a frame made of 531,an absolute bargain. It has Maillard hubs with skewers,Stronglight crank arms,Suntour SVX derailleurs,Simplex shifters and Modolo brakes. No idea what the rims are,the stickers have long gone. It measures 23” top bar, 25” bb to seat post. I guess that makes it large! Still got a stuck seat post,that’s next!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and :welcome: Mike.

I'd say that bike is XL. Hope you're tall.

Alwaysinthemire

Regular
Thanks for the welcome’s. Got it finished today and took it out for a test ride. It’s definitely a big bike! I’m 6’ tall and I’m not stretched, I’ll see after a longer run. Needs new brake blocks,they have worn very oddly! It’s been a long time since I rode a racing bike,felt much easier cruising than on my mountain bike,incredibly twitchy too! Made a big mistake in greasing the gear levers,been used to triggers and didn’t realise they relied on friction 🙄 so no gear changes on the big rings! De greased now so will try again tomorrow. I’ll get some pics soon.

Alwaysinthemire

Regular
Hello to all. Here are a few pics of the bike so far. The only things I’ve replaced are new brake cables and swapped the saddle. I’ve sorted the gear shift so it now stays in position! Going to paint the mudguard stays as they are rusty,then reinstall them along with the pannier rack. New tyres….soon! Just waiting for the weather to change and I’ll be out on it. 🤞

Attachments

• 5C59BB02-6A04-44E4-981F-826424C9A6CE.jpeg
    5C59BB02-6A04-44E4-981F-826424C9A6CE.jpeg
    210 KB · Views: 9
  • C25B5F0E-EF5A-424D-8EA9-0E29B2BC8913.jpeg
    C25B5F0E-EF5A-424D-8EA9-0E29B2BC8913.jpeg
    119.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 79F3E708-6C58-44F9-9519-70DDEEDAED0C.jpeg
    79F3E708-6C58-44F9-9519-70DDEEDAED0C.jpeg
    198 KB · Views: 10

Alwaysinthemire

Regular
Well I’ve been out on the touristique a few times now,wet and dry and absolutely loving it. I’d completely forgotten what it’s like on a racer,my last was a Puch Cavalier which I had between 16-24 years old,a long time ago now! This bike has re ignited my interest in cycling,I’m looking forward to getting fitter and going further. For the price of a night down the pub I’ve got an absolute long lasting bargain. I must thank this forum for making me decide to buy it. Cheers everyone 👍

Top Bottom