British Grand Prix

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Many moons ago I used to work as security at the GP. Sometimes you got lucky and were in the pit lane, other times you were out in the boonies stopping people jumping the fence. Because I was a Grand Prix fan I could usually negotiate a good spot in return for being in car park Z for a Celine Dion concert. A double win in my eyes.

classic33

Leg End Member
Jim Clark and Graham Hill were my hero's from the 60's.
The first time I got the chance to go to Silverstone was to see the British Grand Prix was in 1981, the year John Watson won from the back of the grid IIRC. I had wanted to see Alan Jones in the Williams but I think he went out early.
It was expensive even back then, but it was one of those things that I had wanted to do. The cars were very loud and very fast, especially down the Hanger Straight, where it was difficult to crank your neck fast enough to follow the cars.
I think that day was really exciting as the racing fans began to realise that John Watson was gradually catching the leading car lap by lap and began to cheer him on. In those days there weren't pit stops and so it was easier to tell the position of each driver and could even count the number of seconds it took each driver to do a lap.
I took my young family to see the British GP years later but found that it wasn't as good. This was mainly due to the heat, I think it was the hottest day of the year and our main concern was to find drinks as most of the places had run out. I think that I found it harder to get back into the race once you had been away from the track and returned, as the pit stops had jumbled the racing order. I think we left just after the finish, I can't remember who won but I don't think it was who I wanted anyway.
I still watch the F1 but I think the only place that I would want to go to is Spa in Belgium. It looks so good on the TV.
My son is a fan and is at Silverstone now with his 2 sons and I think they have a great time there. I'll just stay at home and watch it on the telly.
They've(Pit Stops) have been there since the modern era started.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RRy_73ivcms

classic33

Leg End Member
Anyone going this weekend? Fortunately I'm pretty much housebound anyway, as I live only a couple of miles from the circuit and the roads will clog.

Can just hear the engine noises with the window open, and sneakily listening to the track marshalls and medics on the scanner. Quite happy to watch it on TV.
You're on radio report for the race, the stuff they can't broadcast live. Should just be Ferrari.

keithmac

Guru
Would love to take my lad down to Silverstone for the F1, might have to be next few years by the sound of things.

Can't justify the £££, we could have a 2 week family holiday for the price of the tickets unfortunately, too much a money driven sport.

Would have loved to have seen Senna and Schumacher years back..

They've(Pit Stops) have been there since the modern era started.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RRy_73ivcms

I think that you are right but for some reason I found the 1981 race easier to follow. It might have been the heat and concerns for my family which drew my attention away from the race. They are both a long way off in the past but the 1981 race still remains quite vivid in my memory.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Taken ill pre-race

Top Bottom