bromptom m6l gears questions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris folder

Hi I have just bought a m6l can you tell me do all your 6 gears feel smooth as each other my 1st gear is a bit different I can feel chain going around though pedals

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Dunno on a 6 but all the gears feel the same on my 3 speed.

Have you checked the fine tuning of the hub cable, initial setting of hubs can be a trifle tweaky. Is the little chain running properly?

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi guys I will give bike a good run Sunday check all gears when the guys in shop took bike out of box the just tighten up brakes etc did not touch gears do u think bromptom test gears fully before bike leaves factory? Or do bike shop need to tune gears?

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
They should have checked the gears, hub internals aren't very forgiving to being ridden out of alignment long term, new cables do relax and its a poor shop that takes someone else's basic checks on trust.

It is easy enough to check and adjust yourself (and the gears....... paging @Fnaar )

Do you know how.to do that or would a quick checklist assist - I think I've got to basic PDF adjust doc stashed somewhere in my phone too, I'll have a rummage and post it up if I have.

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Ok mate post it up on here I will give new bike a good ride Sunday if it dont sound right it will be going back next week to be fully serviced or swap for new m6l. There is alot of videos on YouTube people unboxing brompton bikes at home and tightening bits up there self.

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Very simple gear adjust manual for the 3 speed hub.

I don't know if the derailleur has an effect on it thoug so be careful before diving in.

Attachments

• gear_manual.pdf
    10.2 KB · Views: 342

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
When I bought my 6 speed brommie the hub gears went wonky (2nd not engaging) after about 100km. I put this down to the cable housings bedding in and went back to the shop for the tune up they promised. All fine since then.

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Im off out to fully test bike in a bit all 6 gears. Let u no how i get on later? if I feel that grinding feeling again in 1st im taking bike back in week for a service or a swap for new m6l.

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi Just got back from a 5 hour ride on the bromptom got the hang of all the gears 1st and 2nd sound different from other 4 that run silent. its not a loud sound its like a rubbing sort of sound like the mudguard is rubbing but its not? Its hard to explain I had a email from bromptom they said the 1st gear will definitely sound different from the rest they explain something about the hub they said people don't mind that noise as its a gear not used often. I would like all gears to run the same. I have not oiled my chain its got a lube from bromptom on it maybe it will be smother when oiled. Im going to do a 16 mile canal ride on my m6l Monday give it a good going over maybe needs bedding in

Last edited:

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Brompton's response is odd. be careful of it. The hub gear does make an increasing ticking noise going up through each of the 3 internal gears, nothing like a rubbing mudguard. It is also louder as you go up the range so 1st should be the quietest from in the hub - mine in 1st is silent.

I live in a hilly area and have a bad knee. I use my 1st gear a lot, there is nothing different in the sound and pedal feel in 1st that in 2nd or 3rd - apart from the louder ticking from inside the hub going up to 2 then 3 and it is literally a ticking noise like a clock.

I'm not totally sue on the derailleur on a Brompton do they have hi-low limiter screws like a regular derailleur? if so then a rubbing noise in 1st and rough feeling chain both suggest the derailleur is misaligned and probably moving too far in and ever so slightly catching the spokes?????

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
If the rear mech was misaligned you'd get the same problem in 3rd and 5th as well. The Brompton rear mech isn't like a standard one, and I don't think it could contact the spokes.

OP
OP
C

chris folder

Hi:hello:i been out done 10 miles on a canal all gears nice and quiet going but 2nd still louder and feeling though pedals yet strange as? rideing home 2nd was quite most of the way? I changed from 4th to 2nd to go up a hill and noise came back Again. Ha. I dont no may be your right it will bed in I got to take bike back for service in 6 weeks. Brompton emailed me if the drailer wheel is slight out on angle on one gear it will make a noise they said let guys in shop check it over the angle on the 2nd gear There is a little Allen screw on back of wheel or something. But bromptom said all 1st gears will always make a noise yet some are telling me there 1st is silent? My 2nd is louder than 1st

Last edited:
Top Bottom