brompton handlebars

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The P type are higher then the rest so you are more upright. Down side you will not be as fast and I find they flex when I am riding fast which I do not like

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I see a number of people out and about with the P-type handlebars. None of them ever seem to use anything other than the top bit. This is typical Brompton territory - central London commuting.

OP
OP
Twanger

Twanger

Über Member
I went and tried a P, M and S. I enjoyed riding the S most. The P certainly bounced and flexed, to the extent that I would not consider getting one, but I liked the riding position on the lower bars. It had a Brooks saddle as well, and I loved that! I am a convert. The M had a nice big gear (The S stopped at 74 inches - and the whole bike bounces up and down like a trampoline if you pedal too fast, so not a Park Lane bike - but I loved the derailleur) but strangeness in the seating meant that my right calf was hitting the little wheels on the rear triangle all the time. Still, I think the M is the most useful one, with a higher position in the traffic, and I will go for that.

Crankarm

Guru
Twanger said:
Possibly. Central London is not known for its hills.

You obviously haven't been North of the River up and over Crouch Hill :biggrin:.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Twanger said:
I went and tried a P, M and S. I enjoyed riding the S most. The P certainly bounced and flexed, to the extent that I would not consider getting one, but I liked the riding position on the lower bars. It had a Brooks saddle as well, and I loved that! I am a convert. The M had a nice big gear (The S stopped at 74 inches - and the whole bike bounces up and down like a trampoline if you pedal too fast, so not a Park Lane bike - but I loved the derailleur) but strangeness in the seating meant that my right calf was hitting the little wheels on the rear triangle all the time. Still, I think the M is the most useful one, with a higher position in the traffic, and I will go for that.
I've got the 6 speed 'S' (as you know) with an 8% increase in gear ratios (for much money) and that will give you the perfect gears (5th and 6th) for going south on Park Lane. As for going north - forget it. Take the path through the park. The very definition of fear is riding north on Park Lane at 16mph on a bike that squeaks with three lanes of traffic whizzing past you and buses taking off from the bus lane to your left. The right hand turn in to Brook Gate would test the nerve of Lance Armstrong.

OP
OP
Twanger

Twanger

Über Member
I have no plans to cycle in either direction along Park Lane. I trickle down through Piccadilly and St James.

It was an epithet.

I've also realised that the bouncing up and down had to do with the soft suspension bung. Harder ones are available.

I know you think it's an expensive extravagance to get a Brompton, Simon, and you are right. But what the hell. I'm 50. I've only got another 30 years or so. Less, if I ride on Park Lane.

I am really attracted to the S2...thinking about it, it was more fun than the M3, and I have got over the vertigo I experienced while riding yours.

Top Bottom