Brompton puncture. a record 21 minutes and only one broken lever

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Two years and I'm still riding on the original Brompton tyres... :unsure:

The only tyre maintenance I do is check for debris and things stuck in the tyre and always check the tyre pressure and top up to 80+ psi.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
What's with all this removing the wheel bollox?
I just remove the relevant bit of tube, patch, back in the tyre and off you go.
Last time I took the rear wheel off was to replace the sprockets, which I'll admit is tricky to do with the wheel in the bike!
And yes, metal tyre levers FTW.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
"You may not have a workstand out in the field with you". No sh1t Sherlock.

Lay all the parts out in the correct order. The last time I had a flat was on a muddy country lane, peeing down and blowing a gale.

I wonder if these guys ever get out of the workshop.

12boy

Guru
After destroying a tire or two trying to get the last 1/4 of the tire back on the rim and even bending metal levers, I learned from another post to put the area with the valve stem on last. This allows getting the tire on the far side down in the valley between the rims, thereby giving some slack for those last cursed inches. I now can push the damn thing on with my thumbs, although to be honest, if I don't believe it will go on, it won't. Taking 3 nuts off and undoing the Sturmey Archer gear actuator is not a big deal nor is putting it back. I have been intending to adjust the brakes with the adjustor that goes into the brake out, so as to be able to put an inflated tire back, but I haven't gotten around to that yet and probably won't until I replace the pads.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There is a maker called 'Fly Cobra' who make a 'linear' tube which may help you lot considerably but to the best of my knowledge they only do them for 20" wheels. Have also seen similarly configured large sizes even down here.

simongt

Guru
Just watched the video. As my street bike has had a Sturmey 5 speed hub on for several years, the process is virtually identical, so no fears when I have rear puncture on my Brommy - ! :thumbsup: BUT, I don't have to remove the selector rod/chain on the 5, but noticed that the presenter screwed down the locknut on the adjuster rod by several millimetres after he reinstalled it. Moving that locknut is something I'm very careful not to do when I disconnect the gear cable, otherwise it will alter the gear setting. :thumbsdown: Mmmm - ? !

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
@TheDoctor has it right - almost. If he'd written 'what's the problem, take it to Brixton Cycles and they'll fix it for a tenner' he'd have been completely right.

That said..........two punctures (that I can recall) in over eight years. I've suffered far greater inconvenience when the gear change collapsed. Miles from civilization. And it wasn't my gear change. Anybody care to explain?

G3CWI

Veteran
Remind me never to buy a Brompton.

Loved the video "in the field you might not have the luxury of a workstand" - classic!

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I carry a can of squirty gloopy stuff and tape my fingers into crossed position before venturing out of bus range on mine.

I have practiced wheel removal and replacement at home. I doubt I can remember any of it, apart from fearing that I was going to have to take it back to the shop and get them to put it back together.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
@TheDoctor has it right - almost. If he'd written 'what's the problem, take it to Brixton Cycles and they'll fix it for a tenner' he'd have been completely right.
This does,of course,open up the tinned annelid scenario that is 'being outside walking distance to Brixton Cycles'.
Walking from Chalet Reynard to, well, anywhere really would have had my happiness meter stuck on 'miffed' if not 'far from gruntled'.

Top Bottom