Brompton - Rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ExBrit

Über Member
Forty years ago I used to repair TVs for a living. I would replace a single component. I'd figure out what was bad, find a replacement, whip out my soldering iron, replace the bad component, and make sure it was working now. I could normally repair a TV for ten pounds including my labour. These days everything is wave soldered and glued together. It's cheaper just to replace the whole TV now. Do you remember when we expected a major appliance to last at least ten years? Not now. The waste is appalling.

Kell

Veteran
Forty years ago I used to repair TVs for a living. I would replace a single component. I'd figure out what was bad, find a replacement, whip out my soldering iron, replace the bad component, and make sure it was working now. I could normally repair a TV for ten pounds including my labour. These days everything is wave soldered and glued together. It's cheaper just to replace the whole TV now. Do you remember when we expected a major appliance to last at least ten years? Not now. The waste is appalling.

There is (or was) some talk of an EU directive mandating that items must be repairable rather than just replaceable to try and get around some of the waste.

Of, course, the UK has unfortunately left the EU now, so I guess it no longer applies to goods sold here.

Fields Electric

B.T.W I had to supply the instructions to my car franchise dealer to set up the On Board Computer. They only had one qualified sparky to serve 3 dealer outlets!

Top Bottom