Brown trouser moment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthames

Über Member
This didn't involve any other traffic. I come down this hill circa 30mph and at the bottom of the hill is a fairly tight left hander, I dabbed the brakes to get ready for the entry and pick my apex point. I pick my line beautifully however the bend had some gravel on the apex which I had forgotten about, it was not that easy to spot due to it looking very similar to road surface aggregate . It was like somebody had put ball bearings all over the road, I felt the front wheel momentarily let go and was preparing myself for an intimate moment with the tarmac. Thankfully the tyres find a bit of traction and I could continue around the corner.

Anybody else have moments when the bike feels like it might crash due to the road surface and then for the bike to correct itself and carry on as if nothing happened?

I rarely miss stuff like this on the road so kind of no - although previously covering XC miles, riding on loose surfaces makes it second nature.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Matthames said:
Anybody else have moments when the bike feels like it might crash due to the road surface and then for the bike to correct itself and carry on as if nothing happened?

Oh yes. Twice last year when commuting (1. Gravel, 2. Leaves. No trouble with the snow and ice).

gavintc

Guru
Was doing my first Gran Fondo on sunday. The weather had been wet and we were riding on damp roads. I was amazed at the number of riders that lost it on the descents. I think on the 120km, I came across 10 separate accidents that had just happened. Thankfully, there were lots of support vehicles with medical support.

Top Bottom