Bruyneel: Contador Astana Leader for Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Bruyneel told French sports daily L'Equipe that Contador is the best Grand Tour rider, "which leaves no doubt about his leadership during the next Tour de France. The goal is to win. There is talk of a duel between [Lance] Armstrong and Contador, but what there is is a duel between ourselves and others," said Bruyneel, who also confirmed, "Armstrong is not the team's second rider. With what we saw in the Giro, that [role] is for Levi [Leipheimer]."

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news.php?id=news/2009/jun09/jun03news

Keith Oates

Janner
Let's just see what happens, Contador the leader is good sense, Levi number 2 is a question mark in my mind!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jpatterson

Contador was always going to be the team leader , its why Lance went to Italy to try to win over there. Collarbone or not he didn't win and couldn't even muster the power for a stage win so it would be madness for the team to get carried away and fall into the hype trap. I wonder what Lance's watts/kg figure is at the moment? If its above Alberto's then they might have some decision making to do but I would seriously doubt it.

Still, Contador could still come up in a sticky position if Puerto ever gets investigated properly and considering the drama we tend to get in the lead up to the tour de france anything is possible.

yello

Keith Oates said:
Levi number 2 is a question mark in my mind!

Mine too Keith. I was genuinely surprised how well LA did, I really was not expecting it. Levi didn't perhaps perform as well as he might have but even so I reckon LA has shown he can still ride the GTs.

The bigger question for me though is whether any of them will even be riding the TdF!

Top Bottom