BSA Prima

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
I have just acquired (but not yet collected) a very original example of the above machine which I would guess dates from around the late seventies to mid eighties. All I know for certain is that it is built from 531 and I am fairly certain it has a Campy chainset. Does anyone know anything about this model, or indeed does/has anyone owned one?

OP
OP
Gerry Attrick

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Can I take this as a "no knowledge" or apathy?;)

tinfoot

I have just acquired (but not yet collected) a very original example of the above machine which I would guess dates from around the late seventies to mid eighties. All I know for certain is that it is built from 531 and I am fairly certain it has a Campy chainset. Does anyone know anything about this model, or indeed does/has anyone owned one?

Hi Gerry,

I still have my BSA Prima which I purchased new in 1978 for an outrageous £270.00.

Did my paper round and fishing trips on it and then when I found girls, stored it away. Still take it out now and again, 90% original parts - forks replaced by brother-in-law when he borrowed it and took a corner too fast.

Patrick

Ralphio

My wife bought me a BSA prima as a birthday present in the 70’s. I had hoped to get back to cycling a passion of my youth. Sadly work/busy life got in the way so after doing about 100 miles it got relegated to the back of the garage. It’s still there in its original form minus the toe straps

Attachments

• B6590195-BADE-4725-85C8-DE01E1A37DD6.jpeg
    B6590195-BADE-4725-85C8-DE01E1A37DD6.jpeg
    316.9 KB · Views: 46

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
The weather is getting better, the days longer, so dust it off, put some air in the tyres and take it for a spin.
Most of us have probably gone though periods, often long ones, where other things got in the way of a regular ride, but if you grew up riding bikes and enjoyed it back then, I don't think you ever really lose it. just activity and time priorities change.
I like plenty of stuff with engines in them, but I have still never lost the interest in cycling even though I failed to keep it up continuously as an adult. Being the wrong side of 50 now is, to me, a very good reason to keep it up, to maintain some level of fitness and offset all the beer I like drinking!

Ralphio

Unfortunately John I’m now well into my 70s with two plastic knees which makes bike riding impossible as much as I would like to do what you suggest. I now just have to follow the tours on line and occasionally follow the routes in a car (two years ago followed the route of the T de F through the Pyrenees and even stayed in Luchron) however until the problems with COVID are resolved things will have to stay on line. I’ve already started cleaning and polishing the bike to see if my sons might give it ago

Good afternoon.
.....so dust it off, put some air in the tyres and take it for a spin......
Personally I would advise adjusting the chainring side pedal first.:laugh:

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom