BST bug

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I noticed that posts made on Sunday 27th October were being shown as posted 'yesterday' between 23:00 and 23:59 on Sunday, so the software that creates that label obviously isn't correctly taking into account the switch away from BST.

Shaun

Founder
It's because the day has 25 hours in it; the reversal of time by 1 hours adds to the day (technically, with regards to server / software) and so the label 'Yesterday' will have been applied - however the time labels are transient and after a further 24 hours the date will be used instead - so it's not really an issue.

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

Well, it was an issue between 23:00 and 23:59! :laugh:

I got a bit confused when I saw posts about the national hill climb event which took place on Sunday described as 'yesterday' on Sunday, but obviously once midnight arrived, the labels became correct.

It is a "known controversy" as to how you time a hour that appears twice!

Others have systems that change time.

The Royal Navy does not recognise midnight!
They have 23:59 and 00:01

For instance a pass will expire at 23:59 and an offence is committed if you are not back on board at 00:01

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

It is a "known controversy" as to how you time a hour that appears twice!

Others have systems that change time.

The Royal Navy does not recognise midnight!
They have 23:59 and 00:01

For instance a pass will expire at 23:59 and an offence is committed if you are not back on board at 00:01
It used to confuse me when setting my VCR to record through the time change. I can't remember what the answer was. Perhaps the VCR clock didn't reset itself, whereas my PVR does. The PVR does not work off times directly though - it adjusts the starts and finishes of recordings to fit the programmes.

Top Bottom