Budget 29er

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
but the whole MTB industry is or has moved to either 29ers or 27.5 though
But why is this?
Could it possibly be because sales were stagnating in a saturated market? Now there is a new MTB format out there all the must-have's and middle aged men with disposable income are busy junking their 'rubbish, outdated, obsolete' 26" MTBs and moving to one of the new, fashionable, better(?) bikes. Hooray, the cash registers are ringing again and all the sycophantic journalists are busy singing the praises of the new bikes so they can jump on the bandwagon and enjoy the ride for the next few years!

Cynical, me? :whistle:

D

Deleted member 26715

It's not this one is it? Great reduction for anyone that is looking.
http://www.ukbikesdepot.com/m15b0s7...lite_Front_Suspension_29Er_Mountain_Bike_2013

We clearly live in different spectrum's if you feel that £799 is a budget bike

but the whole MTB industry is or has moved to either 29ers or 27.5 though
But why is this?
Cynical, me? :whistle:

On a serious note, I am looking to buy a MTB to complement the road bike, it will be track ridden, not across mountains etc. is a 26" still a better option?

Alan...

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
On a serious note, I am looking to buy a MTB to complement the road bike, it will be track ridden, not across mountains etc. is a 26" still a better option?

Alan...

Every bike has its good and bad points imho, a 26r to me feels more pointy and flickable than a 29r although you have to pick your lines more carefully.
A 29r imho feels more like a monster truck they roll over everything and they are more forgiving when a bad line is taken, they lack the turn in of the 26r from my somewhat limited experience but in exchange you get a more forgiving and comfortable bike.
The 26.5 (650b) seems to be an attempt to have the best of both worlds. I personally do not feel they have the benefits of either, they feels like a washed out and weaker version of both.
I ride what seems to be an ideal compromise (Epic WC) which is a cross country 29r with short travel and a tight geometry, it turns in great and is really predictable and fast around trail parks.
After riding a few different bikes I am convinced a 29r is right for me as a 26r requires a far higher level of technical ability to push quickly through trails.

I would think @Cubist would be able to offer greater insight regarding the differences as the resident mtb guru

Last edited:
OP
OP
gelfy666

gelfy666

Über Member
well ive been out for a couple of plods localy, and its growing on me.
the hydraulic brakes feel alot more powerfull than the mechanicals on the Btwin, handles fine for me but ive not done ant technical stuff as yet.... a week off soon, so off into Wales then.

think ill change the handle bars for some with risers and fit a Maddison Flux saddle so my arse feels the same as when
on the Dolan.
for £280 i cant complain as yet. :

f

OP
OP
gelfy666

gelfy666

Über Member
10 miles this morning on local tracks........ and ive decided that i do like it now.......... a bit ugly, but you cant see it when your on it can you.

Top Bottom