budgeting for france tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
Hmm. Going to France and then never going to a restaurant? There's economising and then there's masochism.

(BTW you also seem to have a problem with your keyboard).

aqaleigh

andym said:
Strictly speaking, a 'demi' is the size of the glass - roughly 'a half'. The French for a draught beer is 'une pression - so a 'demi pression' is a half of draught beer and a 'pression' gets you a pint. and if you really just want to wet your throat ask for a 'galopin'.

Other useful expressions are 'un carafe d'eau' if you want plain water rather than expensive and environmentally unfriendly bottled water - if you want to really make the point you could say 'un carafe d'eau du robinet' (tap water). A pichet or carafe of vin is usually cheaper than bottled.

I've never heard of this before - in my experience this isn't normal practice.

(There's something wrong with your keyboard by the way).

I was just trying to simplify it - rather than going in to lots of detail

I am suprised you have not come across the adding to the setting menus, I have come across it many times in both france and spain and it was well publicised a couple of years ago

Ergle

Über Member
BigonaBianchi said:
I went down to the med in 9 days on 140 euros camping.

I was inspired by BOAB's trip when I read the acount last year - like the OP I am expecting work to slow right down and would like to use the time I'll have on my hands as an opportunity for a few weeks tour of Europe. My reasoning is that as I have all the gear (bike, tent etc), then the only additional expenditure is campsite fees and ferries. I guess wild camping is doable, although one aspect of camping I do like is the opportunity to meet others.

Dougster

If there are three of you going together, buy things like croissants in boxes of a dozen or so in supermarkets. A lot cheaper than the boulangerie. Don't waste money buying bottled water - ask politely in cafes and they will fill up your bike water bottles. Flunch restaurants are cheap and cheerful and you get to eat as much veg., chips and potatoes as you can manage. Bon voyage.

OP
OP
J

jags

Guru
dougster thank's for that ,this is all good info.hopefully things will pick up ,i would hate to miss out on this tour ,never been to france read so much about how it's such a great country to ride your bike.

aqaleigh

Ergle said:
I was inspired by BOAB's trip when I read the acount last year - like the OP I am expecting work to slow right down and would like to use the time I'll have on my hands as an opportunity for a few weeks tour of Europe. My reasoning is that as I have all the gear (bike, tent etc), then the only additional expenditure is campsite fees and ferries. I guess wild camping is doable, although one aspect of camping I do like is the opportunity to meet others.

read your journal at crazyguyonabike - looks like you had a great adventure
I can't wait for mine in 4 months

Top Bottom