Bugger !

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scaleyback

Veteran
We have not had a holiday for 18 months +, combination of covid + UK cottages which seem to be asking x2£ or more. My sister & brother-in-law have long had free use of a very expensive seafront apartment in Swanage, Dorset (owned by brother-in-laws relative) which we have never been to.
N:B Sister lives in Leicestershire we are 150 miles 'up country' in North Yorkshire.
We agreed to travel separately and also agreed we would all do a covid lateral flow test before we left home.
We set off yesterday (sun) at 8 a.m for what would likely be a 6/7 hour journey.
2 hours into our journey, happily cruising down a largely traffic free M1 and . . . you have guessed, haven't you ? Phone rings, my sister informs us brother-in-laws LFT is positive :ohmy: We stopped at next Services and phoned them, he had by now taken another test, also positive. So, we crossed over at next junction and went home :cry:
B-in-L (who's 75) is a little under the weather, hopefully he doesn't get any worse, which is the main thing of course. Bloody covid.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Just before covid was invented, mrs D and I sat down for a proper chqt and agreed no more foreign holidays. It can be difficult as she has MS and foreign healthcare is not always stellar in the event she needs it while away. We also agreed that we could no longer morally justify flying for the sake of mere pleasure any more.

Somwe agreed we would make better use of our motor home. Then covid hit, which largely prevented that, and as things ease everyone has had the same idea and are merrily f*****g everyond else off by making camp all over everyone elses bit of the country. So I sold the motorhome to my next door neighbours.

I don't feel the need nominally go somewhere else for the sake of it for a set period of time, possibly because I'm retired and don't face the every day pressures of making ends meet or being a wage slave.

That said, its nice to get out occasionally, so when the sale on my other house is done and i have the lolly in my bank account im going to get a new or nearly new VW T6.1 camper, and rather than occasionally go on holiday as such we'll enjoy much more regular days away and short overnight stays - one big one every year or two, or 30-40 short ones seems a no brainer to me.

I hope your luck changes and you actually make it as far as the county line one day.

We have not had a holiday for 18 months, combination of covid + UK cottages which seem to be asking x2£ or more. My sister & brother-in-law have long had free use of a very expensive seafront apartment in Swanage, Dorset (owned by brother-in-laws relative) which we have never been to.
N:B Sister lives in Leicestershire we are 150 miles 'up country' in North Yorshire.
We agreed to travel separately and also agreed we would all do a covid lateral flow test before we left home.
We set off yesterday (sun) at 8 a.m for what would likely be a 6/7 hour journey.
2 hours into our journey, happily cruising down a largely traffic free M1 and . . . you have guessed, haven't you ? Phone rings, my sister informs us brother-in-laws LFT is positive :ohmy: We stopped at next Services and phoned them, he had by now taken another test, also positive. So, we crossed over at next junction and went home :cry:
B-in-L (who's 75) is a little under the weather, hopefully he doesn't get any worse, which is the main thing of course. Bloody covid.
Kudos for the preventive steps planned and taken. Not many us will think of it when no one has symptoms.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
Just before covid was invented, mrs D and I sat down for a proper chqt and agreed no more foreign holidays. It can be difficult as she has MS and foreign healthcare is not always stellar in the event she needs it while away. We also agreed that we could no longer morally justify flying for the sake of mere pleasure any more.

We have not been abroad for 10 years and no interest really. We usually find a nice (dog friendly) cottage, Lakes, Peak District, Scotland etc and do lots of walking. However, what with staycations and people double booking UK cottages & holidays abroad there is a dearth of cottages and the prices seem extortionate.

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, things are manic at the moment. Im pretty chilled, theres always next year - ifmI were so stressed that I needed a holiday that badly then im not going to add to it by stressing that i can't go right now :laugh:

I do chuckle at the fools that fly abroad in the middle of a global pandemic for nothing more than their own vicarious pleasure, then having sat in an aluminium tube for hours and hours with who knows how many covid carriers have the cheek to complain that rhe queues at Heathrow are 3 or 4 hours long because of the admin involved in tracing peoples movements and confirming their covid status. I mean, what are theae people sniffing if they think things are ever going to be normal and immediately convenient ever again?

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
Being over 70. I have seen the parts of the world I wanted to see and not interested to see more any longer. On my wife's side of the family they are all for seeking the sun abroad every year and expect us to go with them, mostly to the Greek islands. I love that part of the world as the people there are so friendly and welcoming and love their culture but it is all at a cost. My pension is finite and I hate spending 5 hours on a plane.
I really would like to spend more time in France with my brothers as time is against us now with three of us being in our 70s , one in his 60s and the youngest in his 50s but it can be boring for Mrs G as her French speaking is limited.
Of course, Covid has put a stop to it all but I know they will soon start mentioning next summer and Greece and the pressure will be on me again to go along with it. I am not looking forward to that but looking forward to re-uniting with my brothers sometime next year, Covid allowing of course.

OP
OP
Scaleyback

Scaleyback

Veteran
Brother-in-Law took a PCR test yesterday. Confirmed positive today. He himself remains largely Ok. Yes, he is double jabbed. :notworthy:

Top Bottom