Built my first Fixie

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
Just been out on my first ride on the fixie I've been building over the pass few months in fact thats the frist time I've ever ridden a fixed, it was excellent fun plodding around the country lanes.
The frame and bars are off an old peugeot premiere with horizontal dropouts, shimano 600 crankset and pedals with a 42 tooth chainring, and a brooks b17 saddle.
The front wheel has an aero rim with a mavic hub and the rear has a flipflop hub with 16 teeth fixed and freewheel both wheels are shod with tubs.
The frame was sand blasted, primed and sprayed metalic midnight blue. You may notice the rear brake is sited inside the seat stays thats because the 49mm drop wasn't quite enough to have it in its normal position, it works perfectly well there. Hope you like it, I do, she rides like a dream almost completely silent.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Nice work gb-locks, handsome looking bike! :becool:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I always feel a proper fixed is an old frame converted. This one looks nice.

OP
OP
Enso108

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
Thanks guys, after a few rides I've decided to change the crank arms and pedals. Those Shimano 600 pedals with the toe clips are nightmare to get into, plus if you're pushing the bike the clips catch on the ground. So I'm getting flat pedals with PowerGrips and slightly shorter cranks.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Have you considered SPDs? They make a big difference, especially on uphills, where you need all the help you can get.

irontam

[quote name='swee'pea99']Have you considered SPDs? They make a big difference, especially on uphills, where you need all the help you can get.[/QUOTE]

+1.

I toiled for years on a fixie w/ toe-clips: It's a fine art, inserting foot at speed into a revolving target whilst keeping an eye on surrounding traffic.xx(

Put SPDs on my new build and, after falling over two or three times (usually in front of an audience) I can highly recommend them on a fixed gear.

OP
OP
Enso108

Enso108

Formerly OselLing
I have SPD's on my other bikes, the fixie is mainly for nipping out to the shops and stuff so I'm sticking with flat pedals for now. It wouldn't take long to swap to SPD if I fancied a longer run out though.
I ordered flats from chain reaction yesterday lunchtime for a tenner with free delivery and they arrived today, how good is that?

Top Bottom