bum ache!!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

julesdavis1965

just finished the second big (for me) bike ride of the week, tuesday we did a hilly 15 miles, with horrible wind. my lungs were trying to escape my chest! today did 11 miles or so, lungs ok but bum hurts ! less hilly ride today and less windy a most enjoyable ride. i am thinking maybe i should raise my seat a bit as my knees seem to be aching a bit and my leg is never straight and i hear that it should be what do you think? oh and i was scalped by a lycra clad lovely too (male) lol all other cyclists we saw today were going in opposite direction :smile:

Thompson

Bum ache is very annoying, get yourself some of those padded shorts (saved my life) :rolleyes:

I was told that when your sat on your seat and you stick your heel on the pedal, your leg should perfectly straight, this means when the sole of your foot is on, there is a slight bend in your leg. I never get any kinda trouble with that. Hope this helps.:biggrin:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Basic first set up of a bike.

Sit straight on the bike - best use a wall to lean on. Cranks/pedal at bottom of stroke. With bear feet, if you can just touch the axel with your heal, then this is where you start from. I find I need 2-5mm more than this to be correct for me.

Whilst pedalling your leg is never fully extended.

PS takes a while for you back side to get used to a bike.

vickster

Legendary Member
Assuming you are a woman, if yoy haven't already, get a female specific saddle ... makes a big difference and then check it's in the right spot...and some female specific padded shorts/tights (I like 3/4 or longs depending on the temp)

I will admit that I never get on a bike without padding, almost all of my rides are 4 miles+

Top Bottom