Buying a 1" threaded headset.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

longers

Legendary Member
I will be doing at somepoint in the future so had a quick look at Spa Cycles and see they've got some for around a tenner which is good as it needs to be cheap but I'm confused by the different stack heights.

What difference does that make? I'm not familiar with them and they range from 30mm to 45mm ;)

Are there any you can recommend or even ones to avoid? Thanks.

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
As the great late Sheldon Brown put it "The stack height is the vertical space taken up by the headset. With a conventional threaded fork, the steerer tube is longer than the head tube by some amount. If a headset is chosen with a stack height greater than this difference, there may not be enough of the steerer free above the upper bearing race for the keyed washer and lock nut to be installed."

The removal of an old threaded headset/bottom race and the installation of new can be a little challenging, and may require special tools (especially if the headset has light alloy bits). Again Sheldon has provided excellent advice here.

OP
OP
longers

longers

Legendary Member
Thanks for that Record Ace.

I have been looking at most of those pages today but didn't think to check the stack height question ;) I will be getting someone to install the new one for me when I get a round tuit.

It's a skip frame and the headset was taken off by twisting the keyed washer rather than lifting it off - not by me! - and the threads are flattened somewhat.
Can they be recut easily by someone with the right kit?

RecordAceFromNew

Swinging Member
A die wrench of the right size might help, and if the damage is mainly on the top bit then a shorter stack if available may allow you to remove and not use most the damaged part of the threaded steerer. Obviously it all depends on how bad it is.

tyred

Legendary Member
Clean the threads well with a wire brush and WD40. Unless they are seriously butchered, they'll be fine.

tyred

Legendary Member
What you could do is use an old headset top race or lock nut to clean the threads before fitting a new one. Cut 3 or 4 tracks straight through the threads with a hacksaw to mimic a die nut.

Top Bottom