Buying a Brompton under cycle 2 work...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonredhornet

I run the cycle to work scheme for our company (I use cyclescheme.co.uk) and I arranged a £1 final value for all bikes with the Directors when I set it all up. In all honesty though, nobody has ever had to pay the £1. We're quite a small company though, which makes things a little more relaxed. Like everybody has said above, just check with your HR dept. first or pre-agree a final value.

grhm

Veteran
jack the lad said:
This is what our scheme says

"At the end of that period, the employer can transfer ownership for a nominal fee which is currently set at 5% of the amount borrowed."

So it is agreed in advance, but a bit more than I thought it was.

There is no reason at all in law why agreeing a price in advance turns a hire agreement into a loan and, if my scheme can do it (and my employer is normally excessively cautious about tax issues) there is no reason why yours can't.

My employer uses 'cyclescheme', if that helps.

To pick up on a couple of points. The "which is currently set at" is the legally cautious loophole. Should HMRC look at it closely next year and if the market decides that 2nd hand bikes are highly prized/pricy objects, then the company can change the final value. They've covered themselves if the fair market value of bikes is deemed more by HMRC - but have practically (but not legally) agreed up front what the cost will be.

I'm not sure about the legal side of it being deemed a HP deal or employee loan if the final price is set in stone up front - at which point it isn't eligable for the tax breaks a C2W scheme is. I've heard that this is the case, both from my colleagues and the internet - but I cannot tell if either of these sources have actually read/understand the regs.

jamesgibby

8) Can the employee keep the cycle at the end of the loan period?

There should be no automatic entitlement for the employee to take ownership of the cycle and cyclists' safety equipment at the end of the loan period. If the loan agreement (technically a hire agreement under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 (CCA)) allows for ownership of the cycle and cyclists' safety equipment to pass to the employee upon the exercise of an option, the doing of any other specified act by either party to the agreement, or the happening of any other specified event, the resulting agreement is likely to be hire purchase in which case the tax exemption available for a loaned cycle may not be available.
However, at the end of the loan period, the employer may choose to give the employee the option to purchase the equipment. Typically this would be offered at substantially less than the original value of the equipment, but to prevent a taxable benefit in kind arising as a result of the transfer of ownership the employee must pay the employer the fair market value of the equipment. No tax relief is available to the employee for the purchase so, where the price is recovered from salary, it must be deducted from their net salary. VAT will also be payable on the purchase price by the employee on the supply by the leasing company or the employer as owner of the equipment.
Alternatively, the employer may wish to allow their employees to continue to use the cycles and cyclists' safety equipment you have supplied after the initial loan period has ended, without transferring ownership. As long as the employee continues to meet the conditions of the tax exemption (see section 4 above) no tax charge will arise.

9.3 Not Hire Purchase - dealing with what happens to the cycles and cyclists' safety equipment at the end of the hire period

Under a salary sacrifice scheme it is open to employers to sell ex-rental equipment. It is recognised that employers will often wish to do this, because it makes the scheme more attractive to employees. However, in order to obtain the benefit of the tax exemption the employers must not suggest that either the employee or any other person will later have the option to buy the equipment they have hired. Moreover, if the employer states that the employee will or may have this option, then the agreement will fall within the definition of hire purchase in section 189 of the CCA and may not attract the tax benefit. In addition, these agreements will fall outside the scope of the group licence and without the cover of a credit licence the employer may commit a criminal offence. The employer may at a later date exercise a discretion to sell to the employee.
We therefore advise employers that they can indicate in accompanying literature that ex-rental equipment may be sold for a fair market price, but they should make it clear that they cannot commit themselves to doing so, either to the hirer or to his nominee. Any subsequent sale must be pursuant to a separate agreement, entered into after the conclusion of the hire.
Ultimately only a court can decide whether the agreement is hire or hire purchase.

The above is from the DFT web site, so if your employer agrees a cost in advance you don't get the tax breaks and they could be breaking the law.
Ultimately it is up to HMRC to prosecute a company if they think they are selling below the market value and for a court to decide if they are.

Currently HRMC seem to be happy with 5% as a fair market value but the risk is, the government wanting to raise some additional revenue and presuring HMRC to charge for the transfer of ownership as a taxable benefit.
Most employers would argue a fair market value, as what they could get at auction if they sold them as a job lot, rather than what you could sell an individual bike for on the second hand market.

jack the lad

grhm said:
To pick up on a couple of points. The "which is currently set at" is the legally cautious loophole. Should HMRC look at it closely next year and if the market decides that 2nd hand bikes are highly prized/pricy objects, then the company can change the final value. They've covered themselves if the fair market value of bikes is deemed more by HMRC - but have practically (but not legally) agreed up front what the cost will be.

Not quite right. They have legally binding agreement up front with me that it will be 5% on my deal. "Currently set at" means that they will also agree that rate with other people if they sign up now, but it might not stay at 5% for future agreements. They can't change it for an agreement that has already been made as it has become legally binding in their contract with the employee.

I'm not sure about the legal side of it being deemed a HP deal or employee loan if the final price is set in stone up front - at which point it isn't eligable for the tax breaks a C2W scheme is. I've heard that this is the case, both from my colleagues and the internet - but I cannot tell if either of these sources have actually read/understand the regs.

This is mixing up 2 completely separate issues. The schemes are based on a 'salary sacrifice' you have to give up some of your salary to hire a bike and you are not then taxed on the salary you have given up. If my employer lends me back that salary, and doesn't ask me to repay the loan, I haven't actually given anything up so I can't have the tax benefit. The tax man will look out for fiddles that are not called loans but effectively are, so you might get caught out if you try to be too clever, but this is absolutely unconnected with any above board deal on the end of scheme purchase price.

Basically it is just a hire purchase agreement. These always involve agreeing a nominal price to buy the object at the end of the hire period. The concession for the bike schemes is simply that the HP payments are tax deductible (and interest free).

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
if you can bear to ride a brommie for a year, and assuming your employer's VAT status means you avoid that piece of the cost of the bike via bike to work you should be able to sell on your 1 year-old Brommie at a very handsome profit at the end of the hire period.

Maybe one day the revenue will cotton on, but honestly, I really doubt they care.

grhm

Veteran
jack the lad said:
Not quite right. They have legally binding agreement up front with me that it will be 5% on my deal. "Currently set at" means that they will also agree that rate with other people if they sign up now, but it might not stay at 5% for future agreements. They can't change it for an agreement that has already been made as it has become legally binding in their contract with the employee.

In which case, your employer has bought you a bike and you are paying for it through your salary. This is the company loaning you the value of the bike and letting you pay it back over a number of months (plus a 5% admin fee).

Quoting section 8 of the DTF source (supplied by Jamesgibby above, cheers for that:smile: ): "the resulting agreement is likely to be hire purchase in which case the tax exemption available for a loaned cycle may not be available".

However, even the DTf source states may not be available. Even the aren't sure of the legal standing!

jack the lad said:
This is mixing up 2 completely separate issues. The schemes are based on a 'salary sacrifice' you have to give up some of your salary to hire a bike and you are not then taxed on the salary you have given up. If my employer lends me back that salary, and doesn't ask me to repay the loan, I haven't actually given anything up so I can't have the tax benefit. The tax man will look out for fiddles that are not called loans but effectively are, so you might get caught out if you try to be too clever, but this is absolutely unconnected with any above board deal on the end of scheme purchase price.

Basically it is just a hire purchase agreement. These always involve agreeing a nominal price to buy the object at the end of the hire period. The concession for the bike schemes is simply that the HP payments are tax deductible (and interest free).

I think the loan part come from the fact that the company has agreed up front to sell you the bike. The bike is always going to be yours - they just bought it for you and your paying them back. That's were the confusion come in - before the governments terms seems to state it they expect it to be a hire and not a loan.

That most/all companies will provide the option to purchase at the end is almost assumed. But there seems (to me) to be the requirement that the purchase at the end is an option. The last DFT paragraph in blue above (at the end of section9.3) seems to suggest the employers can say that is what will probably happen but must not guarantee the sale will happen.

I think its stupid legal hoops to jump through - why should any employee pay for the bike over the hire period and not be entitled to the bike? I think common practise and strictly legal dont agree, but think that common practise is right.

Not that any of this actually helps the OP - I think you'll be alright buying the brommie and will only have to pay ~5%, but don't expect to be given cast iron guarantees up front.

OP
OP
Twanger

Twanger

Über Member
Just had a chat with the managing director, who is also using the opportunity to get himself a new tourer. He said 5%.

My feeling is that the whole thing is a legal conundrum wrapped up in a mystery that will go pop if investigated too hard so let's just go with it.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I'll pop down to order my Brompton next week.

PBancroft

I've got two options from my place of work. Currently they offer 0% loans for bikes (maximum is £500) or the Cycle To Work scheme, which they are hoping to roll out in September. I don't know what the terms are going to be yet.

Thing is, I could really do with a new bike now. The GT has served its purpose. It will still be a good heavy duty winter bike, but not an every day machine - its too heavy, the wheels are too small, and frankly I'm fed up with having a wobbly Topeak beam rack. I need a proper set of panniers, with actual fixings!

What to do, what to do... :smile:

Top Bottom