Buying a complete bike direct from Van Nicholas

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fifelad

Veteran
Has anyone bought directly from them and if so, did they have the brake set up for UK ? ie right hand lever for front brake, left hand lever for rear brake ?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I have and yes they did, as a matter of course. But. It was 12 years ago so it may have changed.
Their customer service is pretty good so drop them a line. I'm sure they would be happy to make sure you get the set up you want. After all, you will be spending good money with them.

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
I have and yes they did, as a matter of course. But. It was 12 years ago so it may have changed.
Their customer service is pretty good so drop them a line. I'm sure they would be happy to make sure you get the set up you want. After all, you will be spending good money with them.

Thanks for your rapid response. I thought they probably would, they come across as quality. I have also messaged them. I take it you find the Van Nicholas a great purchase ?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Thanks for your rapid response. I thought they probably would, they come across as quality. I have also messaged them. I take it you find the Van Nicholas a great purchase ?

Its my forever bike. I absolutely love it
Check out the Titanium discussion thread HERE. Plnety of Ti and Van Nick chat and photos.

When I originally purchased the bike it did have a fault. VN collected the bike and replaced with an updated, new one.

Latest gratuitous pic of my Van Nick
_nc_ohc=O49CyKGD1GIAX_zbQg0&_nc_ht=scontent-lhr8-1.jpg

Jenkins

Legendary Member
I purchased one of mine direct from Van NIcholas in Holland (the other was from Fatbirds) and it arrived with the brake cables connected at the levers, but not at the callipers. All I needed to do was route the cables appropriately and then cut to size.

Don't know how they'd come now as most bikes are with hydraulic discs.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Its my forever bike. I absolutely love it
Check out the Titanium discussion thread HERE. Plnety of Ti and Van Nick chat and photos.

When I originally purchased the bike it did have a fault. VN collected the bike and replaced with an updated, new one.

Latest gratuitous pic of my Van Nick
View attachment 707273
I'm not entirely convinced about titanium frames but customer service like that is quite exceptional when you consider that most of the major makers would tell you go and multiple. Could even persuade me to buy from them.
Love the bar tape.

OP
OP
Fifelad

Fifelad

Veteran
Unfortunately, my frame size is out of stock until January 2024 for the Yukon rim brake frame which I want ☹️ it looks like the disc version is out of stock too. I’m really impressed that they still do a rim brake version with external cable routing, I do like simplicity, but I may have to succumb to “modern ways “ 😂

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Bought mine through an approved UK dealer (CycleSense) 18 years ago, same price - custom specced using their web choice thingy. With comfort of having UK / local as possible dealer if any problems. Groupset could now do with an upgrade / clearances are a bit tight for wider tyres (fashionable 23's) at the time. Frame is still lovely. Gave it a run out the other - still a fast bike.

Campag980

Regular
Bought a lightly used Van Nic Mistral in 2015, it replaced an alu / carbon forked Claud Butler Milano (which had replaced my trusty old 531 Raleigh Rapide....)

Impressed as I was by the large increase in ride comfort moving from the Raleigh to the C.B. I was yet more impressed when I found a similar large increase moving from the C.B. to the Van Nic !

All 3 bikes were close clearance frames running 23c tyres......

The Van Nic is a truly beautiful bike to ride (and look at).

I really should use it more.

Last edited:
Top Bottom