buying a frame set

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
looking at frame sets ie frame and forks to then build up into a full on heavy weight tourer and need advice on choosing a suitable frame and making sure i don't end up with stolen good as i know it is very popular for thieves to strip bikes and sell components now as it is so easy
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
2915496 said:
Budget route, find an old steel framed rigid MTB. Free cycle might get one out of someone's shed.
would a rigid MTB with rigid forks and all even be the right geometry because you could just take a racing type bike and add different more suitable wheels and flat bars etc and it would all be good as frame is wrong geometry and wrong angles for touring type work
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Flat bars?
7345125634_e1ce941d0b_z.jpg

like that rather than drops is what i mean
Cheers Ed

screenman

Legendary Member
Give him a break, he's only a young padawan.
Are you sure? That is the worst thing about forums you never really know who you are talking too.

I hope I am wrong about the trolling, it is just one post he knows little and the next handing out advice and opinions.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
okay i am here to set things right again (like one of those fairy god mothers in the panto aren't i?) yes i will be fitting bar ends etc or is this still not enough?
Cheers Ed

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
Bit harsh?
My touring bike has flat bars with bar ends, much like the photo above.
View attachment 37663
like that yes thats what i want! bit lopsided in riding with only one pannier though?
Cheers Ed

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
To answer the OP, if you're looking to do this cheaply, I'd find either an MTB or a hybrid, with no suspension. Steel frame if you like, but there's nothing wrong with alloy either. True the wheels up, fit skinny tyres and a rack and you're pretty much done. I've been all over Europe on the bike above, which is actually a Ribble winter frame with carbon forks, so steel is by no means a prerequisite. I do tend to travel light though.

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
To answer the OP, if you're looking to do this cheaply, I'd find either an MTB or a hybrid, with no suspension. Steel frame if you like, but there's nothing wrong with alloy either. True the wheels up, fit skinny tyres and a rack and you're pretty much done. I've been all over Europe on the bike above, which is actually a Ribble winter frame with carbon forks, so steel is by no means a prerequisite. I do tend to travel light though.
EDIT for crossposting
I was just out for the day, and hardly had anything with me.

OP
OP
young Ed

young Ed

Veteran
that one for sale on here is going to be a bit pricey for me especially in any near future and to then get the wheels that it deserves and all the rest would end up near the price of a galaxy
especially if i go down the rohloff hub route!
Cheers Ed

Top Bottom