Buying a new bike...........advice please........???

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BigBurd

Hi Guys

I am brand new to Cycle Chat so be gentle.
I like the idea of getting a touring bike and have my eye on a Giant Revolt 2 because I am 6ft 4inch tall and I need a 60cm frame.
Has anyone had any experience with this bike or can anyone make any recommendations for a good beginner's touring bike.

Thanks in advance

Steven

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
No advice, a tourer is a gap in my stable, but welcome aboard.

MikeW-71

Veteran
Hi Guys

I am brand new to Cycle Chat so be gentle.
I like the idea of getting a touring bike and have my eye on a Giant Revolt 2 because I am 6ft 4inch tall and I need a 60cm frame.
Has anyone had any experience with this bike or can anyone make any recommendations for a good beginner's touring bike.

Thanks in advance

Steven
:welcome:

I have a Revolt. I like it a lot and it's become my commute/general purpose bike. Not much heavier than a Defy, but a little more relaxed on the handling, it's a good solid and stable ride. The saddle is a proper Marmite job though, I hated it and changed it almost immediately.

I've used mine as a light tourer and it did well IMHO. I used an expanding rack pack which would hold the essentials for touring (as long as you aren't camping). I used 28mm tyres, but 32's or 35's would also be good.

The only issue is that the seatstays are very low down, so you may have to improvise with the stays for the rack as I have had to (see pic)

14718686377_7948cc9627_c.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Hello and welcome. The Giant Revolt is not so much a tourer more what they now call an 'adventure bike', derived from CX bikes, but there's no reason why you can't use it as a tourer. It's a bit odd looking and it's also rather black. if you were being uncharitable you might say the name was short for revolting! There should be plenty of 60cm framed touring bikes out there like this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ridgeback/panorama-2014-touring-bike-ec059661 Even has a rack and three bottle cages, narrower tyres so should feel a bit faster than the Revolt. Have a look around and see what else is available.
Sorry I think the tyres might be the same, but smooth rather tan knobbly on the Reovolt. The Panorama has a steel frame which some say give a more comfortable ride.

Last edited:
OP
OP
BigBurd

BigBurd

Hi Mike
Thanks for that brilliant response

Bigburd
QUOTE="MikeW-71, post: 3402521, member: 30152"]:welcome:

I have a Revolt. I like it a lot and it's become my commute/general purpose bike. Not much heavier than a Defy, but a little more relaxed on the handling, it's a good solid and stable ride. The saddle is a proper Marmite job though, I hated it and changed it almost immediately.

I've used mine as a light tourer and it did well IMHO. I used an expanding rack pack which would hold the essentials for touring (as long as you aren't camping). I used 28mm tyres, but 32's or 35's would also be good.

The only issue is that the seatstays are very low down, so you may have to improvise with the stays for the rack as I have had to (see pic)

14718686377_7948cc9627_c.jpg [/QUOTE]

OP
OP
BigBurd

BigBurd

Hello and welcome. The Giant Revolt is not so much a tourer more what they now call an 'adventure bike', derived from CX bikes, but there's no reason why you can't use it as a tourer. It's a bit odd looking and it's also rather black. if you were being uncharitable you might say the name was short for revolting! There should be plenty of 60cm framed touring bikes out there like this http://www.evanscycles.com/products/ridgeback/panorama-2014-touring-bike-ec059661 Even has a rack and three bottle cages, narrower tyres so should feel a bit faster than the Revolt. Have a look around and see what else is available.
Sorry I think the tyres might be the same, but smooth rather tan knobbly on the Reovolt. The Panorama has a steel frame which some say give a more comfortable ride.

Thanks for the advice

BigBurd

Top Bottom