Buying Advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Inthecup

Hi all,

I've got my eye on a couple of bikes. I'm looking at the Giant Anthem 27.5 3 or the Giant Trance 27.5 3.

What do you guys think? I'm looking to upgrade the hardtail for some fun on a full suspension.

Cheers.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Both great bikes, reasonable spec for the price, but slightly different in intent and purpose.

The anthem s a short travel XC bike. It'll be fast over rough stuff, climb well, and descend reasonably well. It has a steepish head angle for a full susser, which will make it pretty fast but hard work on steep descents. It has good shock, decent fork, but Giant' policy is to sell everything ont he same frame, so its ripe for upgrades when the OE wears out. The review of the next bike up is very complementary from Bike Radar, and suggests this could be made a lot lighter with such upgrades.mforthe budget though, this doesn't look bad.

It'll be ideal for fast singletrack and most trail centre riding as well as average Bridleway stuff. 100mm travel will be fine for that sort of thing, if speed and smooth ish stuff is your bag.

The Trance is a different beast. It has 140mm travel; more than enough for the average red trail centre, and will eat most black graded stuff for breakfast. It has a slack head angle of 67 degrees, which will make it a good prospect for steep downhills. It'll climb reasonably well with its 73.5 degree seat angle, and the frame and shocks will soak up some pretty big hits. Giants are, in my opinion good looking things. I love the frame designs, but I am very wary of the overdrive steerers They effectively limit you to Giant specific forks, although their stiffness and precision are not in question.

So. If you want to do some hairy trail riding and rough technical stuff, the 140 bike is the answer. If you want to climb like a goat, thrash along the flat and mince down the rocky stuff, then the Anthem is the answer.

As an out and out trail rider, rather than a whippet, I'd choose the 140 bike.

Have you looked at any other brands? I'd be tempted to look at Norco ( from Evans) or Lapierre, Canyon, Cube... Plus many more, although decent spec at the same sort of money will be limited if you look at say Specialized etc.

OP
OP
Inthecup

Inthecup

Both great bikes, reasonable spec for the price, but slightly different in intent and purpose.

The anthem s a short travel XC bike. It'll be fast over rough stuff, climb well, and descend reasonably well. It has a steepish head angle for a full susser, which will make it pretty fast but hard work on steep descents. It has good shock, decent fork, but Giant' policy is to sell everything ont he same frame, so its ripe for upgrades when the OE wears out. The review of the next bike up is very complementary from Bike Radar, and suggests this could be made a lot lighter with such upgrades.mforthe budget though, this doesn't look bad.

It'll be ideal for fast singletrack and most trail centre riding as well as average Bridleway stuff. 100mm travel will be fine for that sort of thing, if speed and smooth ish stuff is your bag.

The Trance is a different beast. It has 140mm travel; more than enough for the average red trail centre, and will eat most black graded stuff for breakfast. It has a slack head angle of 67 degrees, which will make it a good prospect for steep downhills. It'll climb reasonably well with its 73.5 degree seat angle, and the frame and shocks will soak up some pretty big hits. Giants are, in my opinion good looking things. I love the frame designs, but I am very wary of the overdrive steerers They effectively limit you to Giant specific forks, although their stiffness and precision are not in question.

So. If you want to do some hairy trail riding and rough technical stuff, the 140 bike is the answer. If you want to climb like a goat, thrash along the flat and mince down the rocky stuff, then the Anthem is the answer.

As an out and out trail rider, rather than a whippet, I'd choose the 140 bike.

Have you looked at any other brands? I'd be tempted to look at Norco ( from Evans) or Lapierre, Canyon, Cube... Plus many more, although decent spec at the same sort of money will be limited if you look at say Specialized etc.

I'm pretty much limiting myself to these 2 bikes. I like the Giant style and don't want to get bogged down and frazzle my brain by looking at too many.

We're looking at doing the west highland way by bike, this is what's promoted me to spend some cash! We mainly do cross country riding with some trail centres thrown in from time to time so probably looking at something that will cover that and looking like the anthem.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
Purchased the Anthem 3. Must say I'm over the moon with it. Been out 1 ride so far, 13 miles off road and so much more fun in a full sus!

Cheers for advice.
An excellent choice! I had an Anthem 2 demo bike a few weeks back and I loved it. I've looked at loads of other bikes but the Anthem ticked all the boxes so I've bought one, and now I'm just waiting for it to arrive :tongue: I never tried the Trance but for the sort of riding I do, the Anthem is perfect. Enjoy yours!

Jody

Stubborn git
An excellent choice! I had an Anthem 2 demo bike a few weeks back and I loved it. I've looked at loads of other bikes but the Anthem ticked all the boxes so I've bought one, and now I'm just waiting for it to arrive :tongue: I never tried the Trance but for the sort of riding I do, the Anthem is perfect. Enjoy yours!

Nice one. Was going to ask how you went on with the demo ride.

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
@Jody I've been riding a Specialized Hardrock Pro 26 for the last two years so it was a massive difference. The 27.5 wheels required less effort to keep on the pace and I was amazed at how it felt easier to climb with the Anthem. It's quite a racy position by comparison but I really liked it. I didn't want loads of suspension travel as I like to feel what's going on and almost bought another hardtail but I've never had a full sus bike so I thought I'd give it a try. It's being delivered Friday and I can't wait! :hyper:

baolongyan

I like the Giant style and don't want to get bogged down and frazzle my brain by looking at too many.
BVj1ic

OP
OP
Inthecup

Inthecup

You'll love it. The wheels definatally make a huge difference.

I ride up a track that's about 1.5 miles all uphill with the last .5 being what I thought impossible to ride however second time up it in the Anthem I made it all the way. I'm sure it's the 27.5" wheels!

The suspension If set up properly is quite stiff if cycling on flat terrain then when you hit the bumpy stuff it really comes in to its own!

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
I like the Giant style and don't want to get bogged down and frazzle my brain by looking at too many.
BVj1ic
I can totally understand that. I spent the last two months frazzling my brain looking at different makes and models and spec and reviews but I kept coming back to the one that ticked all the boxes for me. The Anthem.
Had my first ride on mine yesterday and I've no regrets, it's a great bike. ^_^
image.jpg

Jody

Stubborn git
I think it's for the larger wheel needing extra clearance when the suspension is fully compressed. Will help keep the centre of gravity low. I have the earlier 26" model and the tube is straight

mrbikerboy73

Über Member
The lower part of the down tube near the BB is to accommodate the rear shock. And the upper part that meets the top tube and head tube is for stiffness. Apparently.....

Top Bottom