Buying advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

John342

Hi all I am new here, my name is John, been cycling for around 2 months now after stopping as a kid. As you do.
Got a boardman cx comp, recently had to take it to lbs after having few minor faults etc. Bike originally purchased from halfrauds. Worst decision ever. Customer service is appalling.
Finally talked them into refunding cost of service and replacement parts however they are only able to give me £50 halfrauds vouchers instead of the cash.
Any suggestions what to buy?
Got cleaning kit sorted, inertubes etc.
Any ideas would be a great help.
Cheers John.

vickster

Legendary Member
Is it a commuter? If so, pannier rack and mudguards

Otherwise, track pump, saddle bag, lights, clothing?

BrynCP

Über Member
Is it a commuter? If so, pannier rack and mudguards

Otherwise, track pump, saddle bag, lights, clothing?

And if you click and collect, you'll get their online price and can pay in store using the vouchers when you collect. Get more for your vouchers then.

OP
OP
J

John342

Hi all, many thanks for the great advice so far. I was completely unaware you could click and collect from halfords and still use vouchers. I will keep that in mind.
Unfortunately I got pump, mudguards etc free with the bike. I am thinking my best bet could be tools, or I am considering slicker tyres. For summer use. Got shwalbe tyrago at the mo, 700x38. Can I have some recommendations on tools, tyres? Sorry to be a nuisance. I have already got Allen keys(imperial/metric) and few spanners.

OP
OP
J

John342

Also got a Topeak top tube bag, only prob is got a mesh flap over the top. Hence this lets in water etc.
Anyone know if/where it's possible to get a cover for one of these. I thought I see one ages ago and I can't seem to find it online anymore.

vickster

Legendary Member
Also got a Topeak top tube bag, only prob is got a mesh flap over the top. Hence this lets in water etc.
Anyone know if/where it's possible to get a cover for one of these. I thought I see one ages ago and I can't seem to find it online anymore.
They come with a silver rain cover built in? Or one of the models does, it's tucked in the side pocket. Is it this one? http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-accessories/bike-bags/topeak-all-weather-tri-bag

Maybe get a tool kit with chain whip, chain breaker etc

Or decent lights? Clothing? They do a lightweight Boardman jacket which would be good for summer.
A good lock which will cost £50 probably

OP
OP
J

John342

Hi vickster. Yeah that's the one. Mind you I paid nearly £11 from my lbs. maybe halfords do have there uses.
I have looked all over it and no sign of a cover. Can these be purchased separately?

Also great idea about the lightweight jacket. That's the one thing I am desperate for. I am not part of the Lycra gang yet. But I am tempted. I am forever loosing cycle clips and getting trousers caught on chain etc.

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi vickster. Yeah that's the one. Mind you I paid nearly £11 from my lbs. maybe halfords do have there uses.
I have looked all over it and no sign of a cover. Can these be purchased separately?

Also great idea about the lightweight jacket. That's the one thing I am desperate for. I am not part of the Lycra gang yet. But I am tempted. I am forever loosing cycle clips and getting trousers caught on chain etc.

No the cover is built in and attached, are you sure it's not there in the velcro'ed side pocket? Maybe there is one with and one without?

If planning on riding longer distances, you might find some padded shorts of use (can wear under other things)

OP
OP
J

John342

Just been over virtually every square inch. No sign of anything. Only keep a couple of bits in there anyway so not a major issue.
Done 10mile circuit last week before I started noticing little niggles with the bike, hence the trip to lbs, and started getting the sore ass. Might look at padded shorts then. Didn't think it would be ok to wear them under normal cargo trousers. I was more concerned about chaffing etc.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Just been over virtually every square inch. No sign of anything. Only keep a couple of bits in there anyway so not a major issue.
Done 10mile circuit last week before I started noticing little niggles with the bike, hence the trip to lbs, and started getting the sore ass. Might look at padded shorts then. Didn't think it would be ok to wear them under normal cargo trousers. I was more concerned about chaffing etc.
Re the tri bag - easy enough to make a reasonable cover by tucking suitable plastic bag into pocket so that it forms flap under mesh top.

vickster

Legendary Member
No chaffing, do not wear underwear under padded shorts, commando

craigsto84

looking at buying a Dolan Stryke TT bike with sram force groupset anybody got any info on this bike finding it hard to find anything online

Top Bottom