Buying first time bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Magikarp

Hello everyone,

I'm relatively new to this forum, the reason being is that I decided to cycle my way to campus instead of commuting for next year. The thing is, I have to relative experience or knowledge about bikes... I keep reading stuff on the internet but it's just not enough, so thats why I came here to ask for help.

I basically have two options that I like the most:

1st option:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products...-road-bike-ec025506?query=scott speedster s50

2nd option:
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/fuji/team-30-2011-road-bike-ec026238?query=fuji team 3.0 2011

Why did I choose those two? purely because of the aesthetics lol. Sorry for me being blind, but if you would like to share your knowledge please help the newbie.

Thanks

stephec

Legendary Member
Whatever your budget is, don't forget to include extras like a lock, some shorts, maybe some lights, and probably some other stuff that people who commute by bike regularly will advise you on as well.

By the way, both bikes look fit for purpose, but I like the second one best as I prefer drop bars, but that's just my personal choice.

Whatever you decide on, enjoy it. :smile:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
If you are going to commute i would if you can make sure your bike has room for mudguards ( even if it crud racegaurds ) and if you can rack mounting points as it is a lot easier to commute with stuff you need in panniers rather than lugging it in a backpack and get sweaty back.

If you only carry a relatively small amount you can get away with a seatpost rack but i would not leave one in a place that the bike can be easily accessed as they are only fitted with a quick release lever in general.

Both bike do look very nice , is the one you choose going to be in a secure location ? I would not trust anyone not to steal or damage such nice looking bike .

OP
OP
M

Magikarp

If you are going to commute i would if you can make sure your bike has room for mudguards ( even if it crud racegaurds ) and if you can rack mounting points as it is a lot easier to commute with stuff you need in panniers rather than lugging it in a backpack and get sweaty back.

If you only carry a relatively small amount you can get away with a seatpost rack but i would not leave one in a place that the bike can be easily accessed as they are only fitted with a quick release lever in general.

Both bike do look very nice , is the one you choose going to be in a secure location ? I would not trust anyone not to steal or damage such nice looking bike .

yeah, KCL's Strand campus got a relatively nice place for bikes to be parked but I still need a nice lock... any suggestions for that? I think the rims and the tyres for those bikes are cheap to be stolen really.... If anyone still does it until now.

On the accomodation i'll be staying it will be kept inside the house so really its only when i go to campus that it run the risk of geting stolen.
Regarding my bag, erm, I'll be carrying a laptop backpack withouth a laptop, usually just pen and paper so do I really need to?

Also do I really need to invest on attire? o.O Also, which lights do I need to buy?

cyberknight

yeah, KCL's Strand campus got a relatively nice place for bikes to be parked but I still need a nice lock... any suggestions for that? I think the rims and the tyres for those bikes are cheap to be stolen really.... If anyone still does it until now.

On the accomodation i'll be staying it will be kept inside the house so really its only when i go to campus that it run the risk of geting stolen.
Regarding my bag, erm, I'll be carrying a laptop backpack withouth a laptop, usually just pen and paper so do I really need to?

Also do I really need to invest on attire? o.O Also, which lights do I need to buy?

Its thats all you need to carry fair play , i am so used to carrying full set of work clothes, tools, inner tube, pump,food,coat,overshoes etc et cetc.I would at least carry a spare inner tube, puncture repair kit, multi tool + pump as well as some sort of lightweight jacket .

I cannot say what sort of clothes you need as i do not know how far your commute will be or how hard you intend to ride.In summer time it can be a godsend to change into clean non sweaty clothes, i cant imagine sitting in a damp pair of pants all day :wacko:

You will really need some padded shorts or some padded underwear for the best comfort,i started out with just normal shorts + t shirt with a padded saddle which is fine for "shorter" distances and as i progressed i collected more cycle specific gear .
There are many sorts of clothing designed for cycling including suits , trousers etc if you prefer to look like a person riding on a bike rather than a lycra junkie .

With your lights it really depends on what sort of commute you have , if you cycle only on well lit roads then a set of lights to be seen with is fine , but if you have a country lane commute you will really need something better when the nights draw in again.

these are very good value ...
http://www.planet-x-...-rear-light-set

I think the rims and the tyres for those bikes are cheap to be stolen really.... If anyone still does it until now.

You're sure you're new to this ?

Thieves just steal whatevers shiny and if they're stealing to buy drugs are perfectly capable of stealing a full carbon mamil machine or a halfords bike and selling either for £20 as they're just looking for the price of a fix.

For commuting to university I'd go for a Decathlon cheapie as I can imagine universities being a target for bike thieves.

gbb

Legendary Member
Hiya magikarp, and welcome.
If you break it down a little, what mileage are you likely to be doing, how hilly is your terrain, and do you intend riding all weathers ?
Wet weather riding ? i'm guessing you'll want raceblades (clip on mudguards for this style of bike), i dont think either are going to take 'normal' mudguards, and personally i wouldnt want to ride in the wet without some protection.

Distance, both bikes are more than capable, but you'll probably find a dropbar bike like the Fuji will give you more hand positions to use, more comfort on longer rides

Terrain ?, the Fuji's a compact double, 50/34 teeth on the front chainset. Personally i find the jump between 50 and 34 too much (and its flat'ish here). Its a slightly negative feature of compact doubles, you get a wide range of gears but the jump between the chainrings is 'noticeable'
If its relatively flat, the 34T 's not much good to you. Easily remedied by replacing the 34 with a 38 or 40T. It'd cost an extra £20 ish.
If its hilly, the triple chainset on the Scott would pobably suit you more, but if its flat there, you'll hardly ever use the smallest chainring.
Aesthetics matter hugely to me. At the end of the day you want a bike you really enjoy owning and looking at, so sometimes its very important to take that into consideration.

Bear in mind neither come with pedals. Depending on what you want, they're not cheap. Perhaps a pair of 'rat trap' style are cheapest and look ok and ride with trainers or similar, or clipless, then you need the proper shoes...more expense unfortunately.

Keep the questions coming :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

Magikarp

You're sure you're new to this ?

Thieves just steal whatevers shiny and if they're stealing to buy drugs are perfectly capable of stealing a full carbon mamil machine or a halfords bike and selling either for £20 as they're just looking for the price of a fix.

For commuting to university I'd go for a Decathlon cheapie as I can imagine universities being a target for bike thieves.

yep, I just googled those parts and keep researching... so I could say more or less that the wheels aint so good. well the first one is, but even so they can be replaced easily...

The campus has a side parklot where youd have to go through security barriers to go through really

Zee

Veteran
I've seen a fair few bikes missing wheels from those racks at Strand. I don't think the guy on the gate has anyone wandering past with a wheel high on his priorities, so a decent lock is fairly essential.

Those racks in the Strand courtyard are the V-shaped ones you roll the wheel into, not ideal. That does nothing for someone throwing a quick release and making off with your frame. I prefer to put my bike alongside itand put the D-lock through rear wheel, bike frame and the rack, and the 4ft cable to secure the front wheel.

I've paired the following and have beenpretty happy with it.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kryptonite/evolution-4-lock-with-bracket-ec006265

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kryptonite/kryptoflex-4ft-ec005753

They're somewhat cheaper too if you shoparound. If you don't need them at home, you can afford to get something evenweightier if you wish and just lock them onto a railing when you leave to savethe shoulder strain.

http://www.evanscycl...tenance-classes <-should save you a few headaches and a few quid in the coming year too.

As for lights, these guys are a couple of quid lower than the high street chains:

http://www.bikesyoul...y/51/Light_Sets As cyberknight said, which set depends on how dark the night.

And helmet. Helmet. Helmet.

I'm not trying to fan the flames and argue their effectiveness - I'm aware that they're only rated to withstand a 10-15mph impact and won't influence a high speed knock enough to save your life.. But in my books however small a margin, it is still ever so slightly tilting the tables in your favor if you're unfortunate enough to have a spill. So please wear a lid at least for a few days during your first couple of commutes.

OP
OP
M

Magikarp

Its thats all you need to carry fair play , i am so used to carrying full set of work clothes, tools, inner tube, pump,food,coat,overshoes etc et cetc.I would at least carry a spare inner tube, puncture repair kit, multi tool + pump as well as some sort of lightweight jacket .

I cannot say what sort of clothes you need as i do not know how far your commute will be or how hard you intend to ride.In summer time it can be a godsend to change into clean non sweaty clothes, i cant imagine sitting in a damp pair of pants all day :wacko:

You will really need some padded shorts or some padded underwear for the best comfort,i started out with just normal shorts + t shirt with a padded saddle which is fine for "shorter" distances and as i progressed i collected more cycle specific gear .
There are many sorts of clothing designed for cycling including suits , trousers etc if you prefer to look like a person riding on a bike rather than a lycra junkie .

With your lights it really depends on what sort of commute you have , if you cycle only on well lit roads then a set of lights to be seen with is fine , but if you have a country lane commute you will really need something better when the nights draw in again.

these are very good value ...
http://www.planet-x-...-rear-light-set

Hiya magikarp, and welcome.
If you break it down a little, what mileage are you likely to be doing, how hilly is your terrain, and do you intend riding all weathers ?
Wet weather riding ? i'm guessing you'll want raceblades (clip on mudguards for this style of bike), i dont think either are going to take 'normal' mudguards, and personally i wouldnt want to ride in the wet without some protection.

Distance, both bikes are more than capable, but you'll probably find a dropbar bike like the Fuji will give you more hand positions to use, more comfort on longer rides

Terrain ?, the Fuji's a compact double, 50/34 teeth on the front chainset. Personally i find the jump between 50 and 34 too much (and its flat'ish here). Its a slightly negative feature of compact doubles, you get a wide range of gears but the jump between the chainrings is 'noticeable'
If its relatively flat, the 34T 's not much good to you. Easily remedied by replacing the 34 with a 38 or 40T. It'd cost an extra £20 ish.
If its hilly, the triple chainset on the Scott would pobably suit you more, but if its flat there, you'll hardly ever use the smallest chainring.
Aesthetics matter hugely to me. At the end of the day you want a bike you really enjoy owning and looking at, so sometimes its very important to take that into consideration.

Bear in mind neither come with pedals. Depending on what you want, they're not cheap. Perhaps a pair of 'rat trap' style are cheapest and look ok and ride with trainers or similar, or clipless, then you need the proper shoes...more expense unfortunately.

Keep the questions coming :thumbsup:

I've seen a fair few bikes missing wheels from those racks at Strand. I don't think the guy on the gate has anyone wandering past with a wheel high on his priorities, so a decent lock is fairly essential.

Those racks in the Strand courtyard are the V-shaped ones you roll the wheel into, not ideal. That does nothing for someone throwing a quick release and making off with your frame. I prefer to put my bike alongside itand put the D-lock through rear wheel, bike frame and the rack, and the 4ft cable to secure the front wheel.

I've paired the following and have beenpretty happy with it.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kryptonite/evolution-4-lock-with-bracket-ec006265

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kryptonite/kryptoflex-4ft-ec005753

They're somewhat cheaper too if you shoparound. If you don't need them at home, you can afford to get something evenweightier if you wish and just lock them onto a railing when you leave to savethe shoulder strain.

http://www.evanscycl...tenance-classes <-should save you a few headaches and a few quid in the coming year too.

As for lights, these guys are a couple of quid lower than the high street chains:

http://www.bikesyoul...y/51/Light_Sets As cyberknight said, which set depends on how dark the night.

And helmet. Helmet. Helmet.

I'm not trying to fan the flames and argue their effectiveness - I'm aware that they're only rated to withstand a 10-15mph impact and won't influence a high speed knock enough to save your life.. But in my books however small a margin, it is still ever so slightly tilting the tables in your favor if you're unfortunate enough to have a spill. So please wear a lid at least for a few days during your first couple of commutes.
ah thanks for all the really helpful tips.
But regarding the teething, I think I'll leave it for now since Im relatively new so I dont think I'll be too sensitive towards that issue. Besides, if I want to ride my bike back in Nottingham then it would probably be helpful since Notts is quite hilly.
Regarding the helmets, are there any significant difference between a £40 helmet to a £80? Im planning to budget it to £40.

Also regarding these bikes and adding a mudguard to them, is it easy to do it? Because I looked at the breaks and seems that there's no space to fit in mudguards.. o.O

Btw, whats so significant of having a very expensive brake lever?

Brake LeversShimano Sora 3400 9sp

Apparently that cost around £100. Thats on the Fuji bike.

It's just that I'm trying to justify the prices of the bikes :tongue:

Thanks..
Arji

cyberknight

Yes the shifters on road bikes are very expensive !

Entry level ones are around £80 , sora are around £100, and get more expensive as you go on.You can buy a second hand bike with shifter s for only a bit more than a new shifter will cost you, my commuter was £120 2 years old and the shifters new are around £90 .

OP
OP
M

Magikarp

Do you study at UoN? Did you know about the UCycle scheme? Don't know if it'll be repeated for 2011 but you could save some dosh.

http://www.nottingha...nottingham.aspx
ah unfortunately not, But I just bought the sexy bike, Fuji Team 3.0 :biggrin: Im so happy, even though my legs are kinda aching... even right now it's 23:55 I wanna ride it... Kinda like honey moon period... haha It was a bit difficult to get round Nottingham but I got used to quite quickly, drivers seems considerate enough.

Though, I've bought a bike normal pedals for now, and a helmet... I bought a jacket but its more like for rain Altura Nevis(kinda thinking of returning it though and replacing it along with the Bontrager helmet).
Can anyone suggest what I need to purchase apart from this? I know I'll know what to buy the longer I use the bike but is there like any immediate purchase that I need to do?
It'll be my main commute in London this sept I think...
I won't be buying bike locks for now since I wont really be using it as a commute where I need it locked up.

Top Bottom