C2C and Reivers Routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sadjack

Hi All and as its my first post of 2010 a "Happy New Year".

I am starting to plan a tour in June or July. I am thinking of something like the C2C from Whitehaven to Newcastle then back to Whitehaven via the Reivers Route. Can't decide yet whether to camp or B&B.

Would be interesting to hear from anyone who has done this, especially any advice on camp sites or B&B's along the way.

I will be aiming at 50 - 60 miles a day (its my holiday not a race :smile:)

Thanks in advance

Tony

Have you tried the website:

http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/

I have done the c2c and used B&B, i like the comfort and theres less to carry

Tail End Charlie

Well, write it down boy ......
I've done part of the Reivers Way and followed it with the Coast and Castles Route. Both were great. The Reivers goes through some unspoilt places and hardly anyone seems to go there which suits me when I tour. I stayed at a B and B in Bellingham (Crofters End 01434 220034) who were really welcoming when I turned up absolutely soaked. They have a single room aswell, which not everywhere has. It was four years ago so phone ahead first!!
There's a book which covers both the C2C and Reivers together, published by Baytree Press, but I think I got my copy from Waterstones. ISBN 0-9544827-5-1

Keep an eye on the Sustrans website as these routes have been badly affected by the floods earlier this year and there are some major detours.

Not a problem, if planned for, but finding that your ten miles before the day's end is a forty mile detour is best avoided.

P.H

Über Member
I rode reivers over and C2C back a few years ago. The Reivers is a more remote route, at the time not well signposted, and some of the off road was really MTB stuff. The only memorable B&B on the Reivers was the pub at Falstone (Black Horse?) On the way back the Allenheads Inn is an interesting place to stay. I enjoyed the C2C far more than the Reivers, if I was doing a E > W crossing again I'd probably make up my own route.

Brains

Legendary Member
We B&Bed the C2C 2 years ago. Good fun.
We stayed in

B&B Whitehaven
B&B Keswick
B&B at a farm
B&B at a pub
Hotel in Sunderland

We found 4 full riding days about the right speed and seemed to meet up with the same people most evenings, we also kept pace with a large mixed group who do it every year, so they know all the best stop off's and B&B's and have long since realised that four full days is the right speed for a semi-experienced group

There are a few seriously steep hills on the route, and another time I'd make some chages off the 'official' route to avoid at least 3 of the hills

geocycle

Legendary Member
I've done both west to east. C2C stayed in penrith (Cherry trees B+:smile: and Allenheads Inn -both good. For the Reivers I stayed in Hesketh Newmarket (as started in Eskdale rather than Workington) and Keilder village (only one B+B which was good but the pub is a bit lacking in atmosphere). C2C is more varied and a good route with several options depending on what riding you like. I liked the offroad on the Reivers and the remoteness as PH said. The offroad Keilder section is quite challenging and needs a strong bike. Take a look at the C2C and northern routes forum: http://c2c.freeforums.org/c2c-guide-forum-f17.html. An alternative return to the Reivers would be Walney to Wear.

OP
OP
sadjack

sadjack

Thanks for all the replies. Seems most people opt for B&B. If anyone has camped along the routes I would be interested.

I will be travelling in a small group and we are arm wrestling over the Camping or B&B issue at the mo :tongue:

Thanks again

Top Bottom