C2C (coast to coast) on this bike ??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

braaivleis2003

IMG_20150727_174454.jpg
Hi all, having just recently purchased my Genesis Day One Disc and selling my mountain bike the lads at work are planning to do the coast to coast possibly next year and they have mountain bikes. Would it be at all possible to do it with my Day One. Have any of you completed it on a single speed ? Distance I don't think will be a problem as yesterday went for my first long ride 31 miles including some tough hills but managed ok in just over 2 hours. Or would the terrain not be suitable. Cheers and looking forward to your replies.

Last edited:

matiz

Guru
Cant see any probllems,your mates will just have to try and keep up.

robgul

Legendary Member
Having ridden the C2C complete in one trip - and several sections of it twice - I defy you to climb some of the hills on a s/s machine without resorting to the 24 inch gear (two feet, walking) - and especially the Old Coach Road if you take that option.

Rob

Andrew1971

Veteran
Go for it there's no shame on walking up a hill. It will give your leg's a rest and a breather while the geared bike's slog it up there and you wont be tired as the rest
when you get to the top.

I'm pretty new to the world of single speed, so please take anything I suggest with a pinch or two of salt...

If you know the route you plan to take, can you get gradients for the various climbs? I'm pretty sure that various bike GPS devices allow this (I know my Garmin does), not to mention on-line route planners and even OS maps?

Once you have these, check them against your local climbs that you find easy, hard and impossible to do in the gear ratio of your choice.

After that, it's just a decision based on how many of the C2C climbs you think will beat you and if you are willing to walk those. Of course, if push comes to shove (or walk) you could always drop your gear ratio - sacrifice a bit of speed on the flats and down hills to gain a bit on the climbs?

Just my 2p worth

J

Top Bottom