CAAD8 / CAAD9

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

justAl

Sorry if this is a numpty qustion. Do the numbers refer to the grade of metal the frame is made out of? If this is correct then is 9 better than 8? I'm looking at getting a 105 kitted Cannondale. Cheers

Same material as far as I am aware -they probably tweeked the design a bit so as the make the frame either stiffer or equally as stiff but more comfortable.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
For a long time, Cannondale just added 1 each time they refined the CAAD design. I ride a CAAD5 which is a nice bike. They tweaked that design to come up with the CAAD6 and so on.

So, in theory, the higher the number, the better the design. Having said that, the improvements each time were subtle. You'd have to read the Cannondale documentation to see what changes they actually made betwwen the 8 and the 9.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Just signed up to the forum, so Hi, this topic is extremelly relevant to me, Im also looking at the same 2 bikes, having set myself a £1k budget for a roadbike the 2 cannondale models come under my budget, Im trying to decide whether to buy a caad8 with 105 groupset or a caad9 with tiagra groupset both bikes are the exact same price.

Obviously the 105 is better and lighter groupset, and the caad9 suposedly improved frame (which gets very good reviews) but is it so much more improved that its worth the price difference between tiagra and 105 groupsets (which im estimating extremelly roughly at about £300 since the caad9 with 105 is near 1300 vs the tiagra version at about 1000 - may be some different wheels though so that should may account for some of the price difference I guess). The dialemma.

beancounter

Rob3rt said:
Just signed up to the forum

Just my opinion, but I doubt you'll be able to tell very much difference between either Tiagra/105 (apart from the extra gear) or the CAAD8/9 frames.

To avoid the decision I would increase the budget and get the CAAD9/105. If you don't you'll only wish you had!

bc

Garz

Squat Member
Agree with bc, CAAD9 with 105 groupset winner combo. You wont be thinking your missing out on anything after the purchase.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Then what about the broadman range, which as far as hardware, apparently pretty much equal the cannondale's at a fraction of the price (althought its SRAM which I know nothing about). I didnt discover them until today online on bike radar and this forum so popped over to halfords after work to check them out, tbh the halfords association puts me off, because the post sales support is bound to be sh*te. But they look nice bikes with good reviews, almost too good to be true, tainted by the value maybe?

02GF74

Über Member
Rob3rt said:
.... (althought its SRAM which I know nothing about).

SRAM shifters and derailleurs are top notch - got them on a mountain bike and easily as good as Shimano XT, not cheap.

Note SRAM became famous for GripShift with is crap IMO - I am not referring to that.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
02GF74 said:
SRAM shifters and derailleurs are top notch - got them on a mountain bike and easily as good as Shimano XT, not cheap.

Note SRAM became famous for GripShift with is crap IMO - I am not referring to that.

I read a lot about them being good on MTB's but that doesnt neccesarily mean they are good on a road bike, I dont know if they are but I did have a read seems a lot of people think they are great, others hate the shifters.

beancounter said:
Why?

You were on the right track with the Cannondales.

bc

tbh I think i will be going with the Cannondale, Halfords are in general staffed by morons, even the display bikes appeared to be poorly assembled so as good as the Broadman look, on paper, cannondale frame will probly be a frame to keep for years, and probly a lot better post sale support and warranty. Also I like the helpfulness of Edinbrough or Evans (and the other local shop, cant remember the name), Harry Hall I think. They seem much more helpful rather than just repeat whats written on the tag at you.

andyfromotley

i bought a canondale caad 9 105 6 months ago and its fab. One of the smoothest bikes i've ever ridden. Its well sorted and came top in the C+ £1000 bike test. Highly recommended

andyfromotley

i bought a canondale caad 9 105 6 months ago and its fab. One of the smoothest bikes i've ever ridden. Its well sorted and came top in the C+ £1000 bike test. Highly recommended

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yup Andy, I too read that review in C+.

I reserved my caad9 on saturday afternoon, being a research student, I had to take the tiagra option, 105 would have been nice but im already really stretching by budget to buy the £1000 tiagra version, I was initially only looking to spend £600-700 so Im already spending £300-400 more than my initial budget so the stretch to the 105 just wasnt an option really, I can always upgrade parts gradually over the coming years I guess.

On saturday I took 3 bikes on test rides and the caad9 was by far the nicest bike to ride. So Ive reserved it until the end of the month. Cant wait to get some outdoors riding in. Now I just need to choose some pedals to put on it :biggrin: I dont have riding shoes atm (being new to road cycling) so may just be a dirty criminal and switch the pedals over from my BMX to the caad9 if they will fit, if not, something similar (and cheap) until I have the cash to buy some shoes with cleats.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Yup Andy, I too read that review in C+.

I reserved my caad9 on saturday afternoon, being a research student, I had to take the tiagra option, 105 would have been nice but im already really stretching by budget to buy the £1000 tiagra version, I was initially only looking to spend £600-700 so Im already spending £300-400 more than my initial budget so the stretch to the 105 just wasnt an option really, I can always upgrade parts gradually over the coming years I guess.

On saturday I took 3 bikes on test rides and the caad9 was by far the nicest bike to ride. So Ive reserved it until the end of the month. Cant wait to get some outdoors riding in. Now I just need to choose some pedals to put on it :smile: I dont have riding shoes atm (being new to road cycling) so may just be a dirty criminal and switch the pedals over from my BMX to the caad9 if they will fit, if not, something similar (and cheap) until I have the cash to buy some shoes with cleats.

Top Bottom