Cable locks

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LiteratureGeek

Regular
I currently have a decent D Lock to secure my bike whilst I'm working, and I can (if I'm near the front of my shop) see my bike from work. However, as a couple of my friends have recently had their bikes stolen, I was thinking about getting a second lock, possibly a cable lock, just for some extra security.

Does anyone have any ideas on good brands/locks to go for?

Thanks for reading!

PpPete

Legendary Member
Abus and Kryptonite make the best D-locks, whether their cables are any "better" than others is rather moot - any cable can be cut in seconds by a suitably equipped scroat, so doesnt really add any security to a bike attached with a good D-lock, except possible to deter a passing opportunist from removing a QR wheel.

OP
OP
LiteratureGeek

LiteratureGeek

Regular
I don't even have QR wheels, just super paranoid that my shiny new bike (after years of riding a horrible mountain bike) will get stolen, as it's possibly one of the nicest things I have EVER owned :whistle: . I currently have a Kryptonite D lock, so maybe I should stick with that? Thanks for the reply!

vickster

Legendary Member
Heavy but an abus chain if paranoid and a hungry roittweiler. Do you have a gold rated d-lock?

Norm

I'd be considering getting some chain to leave at the shop which you can use with your D lock to secure.

Cable is, by definition, lots of little strands wound together and, whilst it makes stuff that has a great deal of tensile strength, they can be cut considerably easier than chain links of the same thickness.

If you want a second lock, I'd still go with a chain but with a padlock (with jaws only just large enough for two chain links) to secure it.

That said, of course, I should confess that, when I'm out shopping, I use a big Abus D lock for the frame and front wheel, with an Abus Cobra Cable wrapping round the frame and through the rear wheel. I have little expectation that it would stop someone who really wanted the wheel, but it's there as a visible disincentive to the opportunist.

OP
OP
LiteratureGeek

LiteratureGeek

Regular
I was veering away from a chain lock, mainly because of the weight on my commute, but, it had never occured to me that I could leave it at work. That's a good plan!! Very impressed with your genius.

And I hadn't thought of using a cobra cable either (is there actually a term for them Cobra seems to be only Abus ones). Thanks for the great suggestions!

Norm

I think that Cobra is Abus' brand name. And I don't know if there are alternative cables, I'm afraid, as those are the only ones that I've seen. I would say, though, that a chain would be a better and more secure alternative, especially if you don't need to carry iot around. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
LiteratureGeek

LiteratureGeek

Regular
I know it's their brand name, I was looking around earlier today but they have all given similar cables loads of different names, after the earlier post I was trying to find out the actual technical name and couldn't find it anywhere! Bizarre.

Thanks for the advice though, you guys have made me lean towards a chain lock, as I do agree much more secure and I could just leave at work.

I have to say, as a newbie to this particilar forum, it's really nice to encounter one that's so friendly and helpful!

Norm

Always a pleasure to help. :becool:

And I can assure you that it's not genius :giggle: just stuff that I've found hanging up in my LBS and a few years experience playing with the alternatives. :thumbsup:

Top Bottom