Cadence sensor setup

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hi

Just spend a couple of hours trying to setup my fiddly new Cateye Strada Cadence computer. Eventually got it all done and the wires pretty neatly secured. Speedo working fine but I can't get the cadence sensor to pickup anything :biggrin:

It looks like I have it positioned correctly as per the diagrams and the right way round etc but still nothing. I have tried turing the magnet part 180 degreed so the magnetic section is facing the sensor but still no joy. Run out of cablie ties now too ;)

If anyone has any specific experience of setting up one of these please do tell :laugh:

p.s. also fitted 700x28 tyres instead of my 700x35 to try the thinner style. I noticed that after the first time I put them on the front tyre was hissing and leaking air but when I removed the tyre and examined the tube - there was no punctuure! Could it be that because the innertubes are designed for slightly fatter tyres they are squashed up and prone to leaking?

Oddjob62

Got a pic of your setup? Might help. I've got it working with one of my bikes here. The other one i can't get it working because of the shape of the crank (I'm sure i could, but I'm too lazy to work out a way to move the magnet close to the sensor)

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hello Oddjob :laugh:

Thanks for trying to help. Here are a few shots of the positioning of the cadence sensor:
IMGP0204.jpg

IMGP0203.jpg

IMGP0200.jpg

Hope you can see this ok?

FInally I have become a bit addicted to buying things for my bike and have changed and added quite a few bits since I got it (only back in mid August). Here are "Before" and "After" shots of her :biggrin:

Before (check out the lame Globe shaped pedals that came fitted)
IMGP0161.jpg

...and After (latest additions are the bar ends that I got for a fiver in the C2C Flood Sale, the "Cadence" computer ;) and the 28mm tyres (with tubes that are too fat!))
IMGP0205.jpg

Anyway, I digress.... thanks for your help with the Cadence sensor!

Oddjob62

Ahh the bike i have that doesn't work is a Globe sport so you're having the same problem. The magnet is just too far from the sensor. What i was thinking was getting a small block of wood or something to wedge under the magnet to bring it closer. Just like i said... too lazy to sort it :laugh:

BTW you've modded yours Globe almost identically to mine :biggrin:

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Haha nice - thanks for the tip Oddjob!
Against my better judgement I decided to go out this morning in the wind & rain on the new 28mm tyres ;)

Did my furthest trip so far - 25.5 miles. Almost died a couple of times going up hills in Richmond Park mind you.

caz

Hi Sittingduck. I think Oddjob is correct that the sensor is too far from the magnet. I've got the Cateye Astrale 8 with cadence and I've just measured the distance between the magnet and sensor at 5mm and mine works fine, unless the magnet slides down!

I've got a Trek 7100 and changed my tyres from 35 to 28. I can't remember if I had to have a different inner tube, but I haven't had any problems with the tube.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Cheers Caz ;)
Looks like I will have to fashion something to put either onto the crank or the chainstay to reduce the gap.

The 28's felt nice when I got used to them - made me a little nervous though, as it was wet this morning. Almost has a slippage on wet leaves... managed to save myself though and luckily I was only doing about 5mph at the time approaching a junction :laugh:

Will play it safe and pop out to get some presta 28-38 tubes this afternoon I think. They should be more suitable and will fit both sets of tyres incase I chicken-out and go back to the 35mm!

Ta,
SD

Peter

The gap is way too big. For the cadence sensor to work there shoiuld only be a maximum of 5mm between the sensor & magnet. Wheel size is irrelevant as the sensor sits on the stay and the magnet is attached to the pedal.

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sorted...

IMGP0206.jpg

Works now - thanks to all for the help :ohmy:

SD

Top Bottom