Cake stop closure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kapelmuur

Veteran
I was sad to read that Apus Peak in Knutsford is closing with immediate effect. It was a welcome cake and coffee stop for people riding through Tatton Park and a useful place to stop near the Cheshire cycle way.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
:sad:

tyred

Legendary Member
Sadly I'd say a lot of cafés will struggle.

The girl that works in my favourite local café where I often get breakfast on a Saturday morning was saying that they were forced to put their prices up as they were barely breaking even. Now some customers have disappeared since the price rise.

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
£7.95 for a cheese toastie here in a cafe in deprived (**Thats an official Government term for the Town - not my own) Lowestoft recently.

And I’m sure the owners got less fat off that than I did 🤣 With rent, wage, power, food increases etc; it’s just the way things are going right now. Not sustainable around here though I’d say……

OP
OP
kapelmuur

kapelmuur

Veteran
I should have added that Apus Peak was a combined bike shop and café which is why I thought it relevant to post about it on this site.

Very sad - I was hoping to get out to that one day but it's a long ride for me.
It irks me a bit to see people complaining about cake stop prices when they're fabulously wealthy themselves.
Spend some cash or there won't be anywhere to spend it !

Brandane

Legendary Member
Very sad - I was hoping to get out to that one day but it's a long ride for me.
It irks me a bit to see people complaining about cake stop prices when they're fabulously wealthy themselves.
Spend some cash or there won't be anywhere to spend it !

Are there enough "fabulously wealthy" people left to keep these places going though? I think not! Certainly not in my local area, which has a bit of an over supply of café type places. I don't claim to be on the bread line, but there's no way I would be paying the above mentioned £7.95 for a cheese toastie, that is just absurd. I know they have overheads that have to be paid, but to be frank, that is not my problem. If their business is unsustainable, then it will die, so be it. It is a product of the times we live in, and we all have to prioritise where our money goes. Cheese toasties are somewhere down that list!

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Are there enough "fabulously wealthy" people left to keep these places going though? I think not! Certainly not in my local area, which has a bit of an over supply of café type places. I don't claim to be on the bread line, but there's no way I would be paying the above mentioned £7.95 for a cheese toastie, that is just absurd. I know they have overheads that have to be paid, but to be frank, that is not my problem. If their business is unsustainable, then it will die, so be it. It is a product of the times we live in, and we all have to prioritise where our money goes. Cheese toasties are somewhere down that list!

It did come with a nice garnish though….🤷‍♂️

I’m with you 100%. Bring truthful it wasn’t my choice of stop. And at that price won’t be again. I think it’s an abhorrent cost for that item. For comparison: 300 yards away you can get a reasonable sized Fish and Chips for £5.60. At a place I support reasonably frequently……

Looked at the menu for Apus. For £8 you can get a pizza. Seems decent value?

Must admit I don't usually have more than a cake and coffee at a cafe stop - I don't think I'm unusual among cyclists ?

Shame it closed anyway.

Top Bottom